Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing AntiVirus

• Please log in to reply

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm using NAV 2004 which runs out next month, and wondered if it's worth my while buying NAV 2006. This version has caught most thrown at it so far, and I use regular online scans with different AV which cleared out the couple of times something did slip by. But it's done a good job with Outlook Express so far, and nothing has infected, I get about 3/4 worms or virus everytime I open OE to check mail.

It seems to be kinda slow though, and work can sometimes grind to a complete halt while everything waits for NAV to catch up. And from what I can remember trying to do a clean uninstall of NAV 2002 after a horrific infection that eventually needed a reformat, the symantec support is pretty hard to navigate. I will admit that it's thorough once you do find the answer to your problem though.

I have seen ppl recommend AVG as a replacement, saying it's faster and lighter on resources. Added bonus being the free version available. It's not a problem paying, so the free part is not an issue, so could ppl make some recommendations plz on what I should do? Maybe someone knows of a company or someone that's done an impartial comparison of AV's?

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I recommend AVG Anti Virus because it dose a very good job. It have caused no problems and I have not got infected yet. There is a link to it in my signature. I am also not scared of paying, I have a copy of Norton that I could could install and use for a year, but I will not out of choice.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Avast or NOD32, ive tried them all and nod32 was without a doubt the best ive used but it only has a 30 day trial, avast is the best completly free one, good virus protection and it is skinnable with lots of skins available on there site(im partial to the star trek LCARS skin)

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I agree with Warriorscot, AVG is the best if your looking for free, but if your willing to pay, go with NOD32, as warriorscot reccomended, or try Kaspersky, it works great as well.

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
computer associates has ez virus wich should give you one year of hassle free bugs.It's quick,easy and to the point.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks for all the replies folks. :tazz:

After following your suggestions and doing some further research I've decided to give Avast a try. The others seem to have draw-backs that I'm not too keen on. It seems that AVG has poor virus detection rate, and deletes infected files without warning; while NOD 32, although it's detection may be good, I noticed it doesn't scan outgoing mail. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be dangerous if your pc was infected and being used to send SPAM? And Kaspersky is supposed to be quite complicated unless you're an expert user, and their support is reported to be poor.

The help is much appreciated folks! :)

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
The only drawback to Norton Antivirus is paying for it. It warns you if a file is infected, scans emails (incoming and outgoing), and has very good detection. You just need to be willing to pay. Otherwise it seems you've found what you want from the free versions.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
with nod32 you dont get viruses in the first place last time i looked they still had a 100% detection and removal record, which is pretty [bleep] impressive.