Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! images appear to be distorted!

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hi
just recently i reformatted my dell inspirion 700m. i installed all the windows updates but hadnt really been surfing the web with it.

just recently i started using it and noticed that while browsing, although the webpages would appear to be fully loaded, the pictures remain to be distorted (as if internet explore were still loading them). the pictures are distorted, discolored, and they all look like they are all taken by super low quality 99 cent store cameras. i notice that also alot of webpage templates and banners are affected as well (such as the ebay, google, and yahoo images)

this problem of picture distortion seems to be limited to within my web browsers in both firefox and internet explorer. i loaded pictures from my digital camera, and from a usb drive and those images came out okay.

its only when the images are loaded via the web. when pictures are sent to me via ftp, or sent as an attachment to an email (where i download them) those come out okay too. but when the images are loaded through my browser that when im getting these discolored images. In fact, these little smiley face icons to the left of this text box are discolored and faceless. =/

i reformatted my computer again recently and it was fine. i created a restore point right after installing all the drivers for the hardware. i then started downloading all the windows updates and after all that this problem started happening again. i tried to restore it back to before the updates via system restore but the problem still existed. although im not sure its an ms update thats causing the problem, its something that i havent ruled out and am suspecting.

i ruled out a graphics card issue because its limited to within my web browsers, and only to images loaded within them. it doesnt affect the screen, text, template of apps, or existing images not loaded through the web browser. nonetheless i rolled back the driver just in case ^_^
but yea. no luck.

i have no idea what to do because usually when i have a problem, reformatting is something that usually solves the trick; in this case its a problem thats come back to haunt me despite my reformats. if anyone can offer any help; or might know of any ms update that may be causing the problem (of course that's a speculation and not a fact that i think it may be an ms update) please share your knowledge. your two cents would definitely be appreciated.

Kalian

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go to add / remove, put a tick in show updates, look at the KB89 etc hotfixes, uninstall one, reboot and see if the problem goes, keep removing them until you find which one(s) is / are causing it, make a note of its / their number(s) and then go to Microsoft Update to re-install the rest

Unfortunately, you will need to reboot after removing each one, running disc clean up after the reboot would be good also

You can look at repairing XP if you like, this would remove all the updates so you could then go to Microsoft Update and install each one individually, which could be quicker and less strain on the PC

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hi keith,
thanks for your help.
i was wondering though, when you say hotfixes, am i just looking at those dubbed specifically as "hotfixes" or are you including the security updates as well?

what threw me off was the k9... because that happens to be alot of the prefixes for the security updates as well.

well hope to hear from you soon. i have like 10 more reboots (10 more hotfixes) until im done.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See how the hotfixes go, after you remove one, check the image quality, if it is still doing it after the hotfixes are all off then we can look at something else

I suggested this way as you said it only emerged after updating

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hi keith
i uninstalled all the hotfixes but the problem remains. do you think any of the "windows security updates" may be a factor as well?

let me know what you think.
Paul

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i meant "security updates for windows xp"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can hack removing them one by one then go with that, however, I would repair XP now, because it will remove all the updates and repair IE, even though you said it happens with Firefox

I hope the monitor resolution, colour quality and refresh rates are within its limits :tazz:

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
wow.
that response was lightning fast.

monitor resolution, color quality, and refresh rates are all oem default settings and are within its limits ^_^

ill go ahead and take the steps to repair.
hopefully that fixes it.
ill let you know whats up asap.

Kalian

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Doing the repair will also replace any missing or corrupt files

When you run Microsoft Update, try to add them a few at a time then check the image quality

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hey keith.
i repaired windows and unfortunately it didnt solve the problem.

hope you have some more tricks up your sleeve.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you re-install / update the video adapter drivers

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hi keith,
i reinstalled the video drivers using the latest drivers offered by dell. but yea... no luck.

does microsoft have anything that controls the color and quality of images in my browser through another third party software?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I will ask a couple of Trusted Techs to look at this

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have dial up and / or use any connection accelerator

If so, disable it and check the image quality

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Kalian...

Some other things you might try...

Start Internet Explorer.
On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options". Click the "Advanced" tab. Scroll down to the "Multimedia" area and click to clear the "Enable Automatic Image Resizing" check box...Click "OK".

OR

Right-click the Windows desktop to display the context menu. Click "Properties" on the context menu to display the Display Properties dialog. Click the "Settings" tab on the Display Properties dialog to display the Settings tab. Click the "Advanced" button on the "Settings" tab to display the monitor properties dialog. Select a DPI setting in the Display frame of the monitor properties dialog to change the DPI setting to 96 DPI.
Restart your machine.

I also have a registry change we can make, but let's save that as a last resort....

Let us know what you find...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 25 October 2005 - 10:50 AM.