Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP installation

• Please log in to reply

wllm55

wllm55

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
My Hard drive is rapidly dying. I have a new one on it's way to me. I will have to install Windows XP. I have my OEM (Dell) Disk, XP with SP1 and key code. I also have a friend that has a Dell OEM disk, XP with SP2. Can I, or should I use my friends Disk with SP2 instead of installing with my disk, XP with SP1 and then installing Service Pack 2?
Also, if I can I would like to clean or write over the existing HD before I return it to Dell. What is a good freeware program that would obliterate all my old information? Thanks Newt. :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
um...i would suggest using your xpcd and just getting sp2 after the install...using your' friend's cd could be construed as theft...though if you use his cd but use your cd key...it should be ok...

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for the reply, I don't feel like getting into any theft issues, I have my own keycode. I just thought it might be a "cleaner" installation without any leftovers from SP1
Also, while I have your attention, when I finish loading XP and SP2 should I use "Autopatcher" or just use Microsoft updates to get my OS current?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
microsoft updates have a tendancy to sometimes get a little fishy....so i try to have as few programs mess with them as possible....i say just spend the time on windows update....less to worry about..

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
IF YOU USE YOUR KEY, then using the SP2 integrated CD should not be a problem, as that key is what determines your license, not the CD itself

Just make sure your lecense version (Pro/Home) is the same as the borrowed CD; you don't want to try this if your license is for Home and the SP2 integrated CD is for XP Pro

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
again, thanks for the help. I am concluding this communication. This machine is rapidly loosing it! And beginning to become really hard to deal with. My new HD is supposed to be here tomorrow. Until then, Newt

:tazz: