Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP FREEZES! PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply

aptmx

aptmx

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I am having a serious problem that is driving me crazy. When I boot up my pc Xp will freeze and lock up (no blue screen) at the most random times. It could be after 2 mins our 2 hours. I have a 1.4 Athlon XP, 256 MB Ram. There is no log file created. I even installed a fresh copy of windows xp and it did the same thing. All device drivers are up to date and so is the BIOS. I have a netgear wireless PCI card which i heard can cause unstability problems but it is up to date and works fine. The CPU is running at a constant temp of about 30 Degrees Celsisus. If anyone has ever experienced this please help me because i give up. Below is the HiJackThis log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 1:32:53 PM, on 1/13/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG311 Wireless Smart Configuration\Utility\NetgearAG.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Ares\Ares.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Dan\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Please rescan with Hijack This and post the entire log. You forgot the bottom half.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

aptmx

aptmx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK...here is the entire hijackthis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 5:18:38 PM, on 1/13/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG311 Wireless Smart Configuration\Utility\NetgearAG.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Dan\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AS01_Netgear] C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG311 Wireless Smart Configuration\Utility\NetgearAG.exe -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ares] "C:\Program Files\Ares\Ares.exe" -h
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop...p/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1105587559489
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I don't see anything wrong in the log. How long have you been using this wireless card? Has it always worked good? Maybe try swapping it with a normal NIC and see what happens using wires. Let me know.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

aptmx

aptmx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have had the card for about 8 months and it has worked fine. I will remove the wireless card and then get back to you on that. I dont know if this matters but when i run a diagnostic scan at pcpitstop.com it freezes about half way through that scan everytime. Is there any other diagnostic software that maybe could run some tests? Thanks a lot for you help. I appreciate it.

aptmx

aptmx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The diag test freezes during a video test and i did notice one time the display acting kind of wierd on the monitor. I am going to look into this a little more because it might be a display driver issue. Thanks

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I agree, it could definitely have something to do with your display drivers. Try to notice what you are doing (exactly) at the time of freeze ups. Write them down and look for a pattern. Let me know what you find out. Good luck :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

aptmx

aptmx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK I found a very much updated driver for the display adapter. Installed, rebooted and ran the diag test and it still freezes during the same exact part of the video test. The specific test it freezes on says Testing Line Drawing...

Seems like no matter what I do this PC is doomed.

aptmx

aptmx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK i checked out the diag website and it had the problem i am having. It stated to disable Hardware Acceleration for the display adapter under display settings. The diag test ran succesfully this time! Although at the end of the tests it can not display my results for some reason....wierd. Could that have been the reason that the PC froze because of that acceleration option? What exactly does that do and will I be ok if that is always disabled. I will leave that disabled and let you know if the PC continues to freeze.
Thanks

spanner

spanner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
just come accross this thread...can i just point out that you have a worm...

it usually doesn't allow you to open task manager to close it. so i would recommend downloading Win Task Pro. This program will allow to view your running processes n terminate them. and also remove it from starting up via

Run> msconfig

hope that helps
ant :tazz: