Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SpySubtract being flagged by NIS

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
(Please don't move this topic to the Malware forum, I had it there and it was buried in a matter of hours, today I found it on page 10, I know those geeks are crazy busy.)

SpySubtract came preinstalled on our computer, but everytime I've tried to install it Norton blocks it saying it is a malicious script. I can recover it in System Application Recovery, but it does the same thing everytime.

The file name is: C:\hp\bin\SpySubtract\poof.js

The Alert says: Norton Script blocking feature has detected virus like activity in a script file on your computer.

I don't understand the poof.js part. Couldn't this be a false positive, I know a lot of people don't like NIS, what do you think?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, could be a false positive. poof.js is a javascript associated with the program. NIS should have a way to exclude certain files from detection.

i'M SORRY, but I am not familiar enough with the program to suggest exactly how, but HELP function , searching on EXCLUDE would be a good start

Hardhead

Hardhead

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
Hello gerryf,

The script can be allowed to run by following the directions below if the script is safe. It's more than likely a FP.

http://service1.syma...=&osv=&osv_lvl=