Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS checksum error

• Please log in to reply

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i am running boot blocker bios and it gives me a bios checksum error is theira way to fix this?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Give us you system specs. Messing with the BIOS can be risky, so we kinda need to know what you've got there. I presume you've checked the pesky CMOS battery, should be just over 3 volts.

In fact I've got an old machine right now, a Micron ClientPro, PIII-550mhz, that had the deadest CMOS battery I've ever seen, same problem plus the floppy had IO errors and it was configured as a thin client, solved all those problems with a new battery and a BIOS upgrade. Now it's working as a nice Linux box with Fedora Core 4.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
well that is what origonally hapened some one was flashing the bios and thought it was takeing to long so they unpluged the computer and now i have the sumcheck error. my it is a award bootblocker bios ver 1.0. uhh. it has a pentium one and uses simm ram and a atx mother board i am not sure of the fbs on it though...

finehout

finehout

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
well that is what origonally hapened some one was flashing the bios and thought it was takeing to long so they unpluged the computer and now i have the sumcheck error. my it is a award bootblocker bios ver 1.0. uhh. it has a pentium one and uses simm ram and a atx mother board i am not sure of the fbs on it though...

finehout

finehout

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

finehout

finehout

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

finehout

finehout

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

finehout

finehout

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

finehout

finehout

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

finehout

finehout

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Then you need to reflash the BIOS, find the motherboard part number, go to either the computer maker's or better yet, motherboard maker's website and get the latest BIOS for that board. follow the instructions very carefully, or you'll have a piece of rectangular furniture. In the case of the machine I described above, the floppy didn't work so I had to run the upgrade from the hard drive in ms-dos mode.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I tried waht you told me and it didnt work. None of my onboard devices work and my keyboard wont work. DO youi know if you can buy a pci keyboard controller? because things will work when i plug into my pci...weird

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You downloaded the correct BIOS and reflashed it? It should work if everything else is right. How about the CMOS battery. From the top of the battery to any ground point on the machine should read just over 3 volts.

How about the drives, the hard drive and floppy, do they work?

finehout

finehout

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ok here is what happens (yes my floply and cd-rom are good) i turn on my computer i get a constent error beep. then it says bios check sum error. and bellow that it says detecting floppy drive a media and below that insert system disk and press enter and it wont let me press enter. it does nothing but flash and beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. And i also bought a new cmos battery an hour ago no change.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Try reseating your memory. That can cause a constant beep. If you can use another computer to download the BIOS to a floppy and run it on yours you may be able to get it to work.