Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Incredibly Slow Computer!

• Please log in to reply

Maggie2448

Maggie2448

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
:tazz: I think the startup programs are what's slowing down my computer but I'm unsure of what to do when I look at them. I just know that using my computer is becoming a task instead of a pleasure. I'm wasting more time just waiting for things to open. For instance, Outlook Express. It takes a long time to open and then even longer to open that first email. I'm sure there's other issues slowing it down that I haven't even thought of yet. I could really use help as I'm stumped!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete then reboot

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Maggie2448

Maggie2448

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
:) Thanks for your help! I can understand the defrag part. As far as the second line goes:

(Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete then reboot) I tried this just to have a look and I have 91 items. How would I know which ones to delete? Do I have to try each one and reboot 91 times? If so, I don't think I'd live that long since everything about my computer is so slow.

As far as the third line:

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot. I need to put in the Windows XP CD and then a blue progress bar will appear? Is this reinstalling XP?

Thanks
:tazz:

Edited by Maggie2448, 24 October 2005 - 07:44 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
question 1
You can delete all of them at once.

question 2
It is checking to ensure that no critical system files have been replaced by bad ones. Your system is not being reinstalled, but any bad files will be replaced.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hi Maggie,
Ensure that your system is free from spyware. As Keith said run a disk cleanup and defragment, it will help improve your boot time as well as performance, esp if ur system has lots of junk or the drive is cluttered. I would also suggest that you disable unnecessary items from startup if there are any. If after the other things mentioned also dont seem to help, consider adding more memory if you can.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
How much RAM do you have ?
Right click MyComputer click on Properties it will tell you there.

Also - if you goto Start > Run type in MSCONFIG and click on the Startup menu you will be able to see which processes are being loaded each time you start your computer.

You probably don't need all of them and each one you uncheck will help speed up the boot sequence. If you are unsure if the item is needed or not check here: http://sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

You will be prompted to restart your computer. If you find that you need the item you unchecked it is a simple matter to go back and re-check the box.

Make sure you leave your AV and Firewall checked.

Edited by 1069, 25 October 2005 - 05:53 AM.

Maggie2448

Maggie2448

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have 256 Ram which I know is too little. I have a clone. Would a Belarc report give me the info that I would need to find out what type of Ram to buy? I'd really like more than 512 total. I wanted to defrag but it says you should have at least 15% free space and I have 12% free. I tried to remove a map program that's 2,010 MB but after I go through all the motions, it says it's been removed but it's still there. There is a program from an old Canon scanner that I can't remove either. I'd like to clean up a few things before I defrag. Any ideas?

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

I have 256 Ram which I know is too little. I have a clone. Would a Belarc report give me the info that I would need to find out what type of Ram to buy? I'd really like more than 512 total. I wanted to defrag but it says you should have at least 15% free space and I have 12% free. I tried to remove a map program that's 2,010 MB but after I go through all the motions, it says it's been removed but it's still there. There is a program from an old Canon scanner that I can't remove either. I'd like to clean up a few things before I defrag. Any ideas?

It would be good to add more RAM. to free up space, have you run a disk cleanup? the disk cleanup will tell you how much space you can hope to get deleting the temporary files, recycle bin files etc. If your system is otherwise fine, you cud also delete some of the older restore points which take up space. then burn stuff that u can onto CDs.will help you free up more room. after this chkdsk and run the disk defrag.
Or you can also cleanup using something like CCleaner.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I may add, It seems that your biggest and most immediate problem is a choked-up hard disk. This can slow down the computer considerably. Try to clear as much space as possible from partition c either by deleting, burning to cds, moving material to another partition or considering adding another storage device. After that run defrag, Antivirus and antispyware. I believe you will see a big improvement.

To remove those hard-to-remove programms and folders try to download and run Killbox.

As for identifying your RAM, download Everest home addition (it's free), run it, click Motherboard and after that SPD (showed by a RAM module icon). You will find there the details of your installed module. With that information you can match additional modules

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
You may well have dozens (possibly hundreds) of unnecessary files clogging up your system.

Download Easy Cleaner from here: http://www.majorgeek...ownload414.html

Use Unnecessary and Registry options ONLY. (I check the top 3 boxes in Unnecessary)

I know many who use this and it is very reliable - you can delete all that it finds.

Do not delete any DUPLICATE FILES as some are needed.

Go to START > RUN and type in %temp% delete all that it finds.

Then go to Control Panel > Internet options > and delete FILES.

You can then DEFRAG. If you have a screen saver turn it off. Defrag is best done in SAFE MODE. Constantly tap f8 whilst booting up / or hold down CTRL. You will get the start up menu from where you can select Safe Mode.

Edited by 1069, 28 October 2005 - 04:33 PM.

Advertisements

Maggie2448

Maggie2448

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I downloaded Easy Cleaner, it put an icon on my desktop and when I click on it it looks like it just sets up the program. What should I expect to see. When I open it up it I get the Install Shield Wizard and when that's done it asks if I want to Modify, Repair, or Remove. I don't know what to do now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click repair as something went wrong with the install

Maggie2448

Maggie2448

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have upgraded the Ram to 768 and I have done a disk cleanup and defrag. It's a little faster than it was but still not good. I tryed downloading Easy Cleaner to my desktop and all I have is the Install Shield Wizard when I open it up. I tried to download it again and can't get any further than that. I'm still having a problem with "Add/Remove" and a program that says it's 2,010 MB. I click to remove, it goes through a little process and finally says that the program has ben successfully uninstalled. Only problem is that even after rebooting, the program remains on the list. So, is it gone or not and how do I get it off the list? :tazz:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Removing temp files is not nearly enough to clean an overloaded disk. May I suggest that you follow up on my previous advices. Clear up space on the disk, run Killbox to remove stubborn programs and files and run defrag again.

qwerty1234

qwerty1234

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I had a similar problem as you, Maggie2448, but it revolved around installing Pc-cillin. I had an Window 98 OS and installed Pc-cillin 2000 for a Windows 2000 OS, which made my computer too slow to do anything.

Do you have any programs that are not compatitble with windows XP? They might be the cause too.