Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Xp loss of sound

• Please log in to reply

danijean

danijean

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I run Windows Xp on my PC... We had to use a restore option on our comp because of a nast worm, and it was wiped. After restoring, everything was fine until playing games or doing anything, there was no sound. Going under the devices/hardware tab as instructed to users of the comparible problem, this is what is there...

Sound, Video, Game Controllers

- Audio Codecs
- Legacy audio Drivers
- Legacy Video Capture Devices
- Media COntrol Devices
- Standard Game Port
- Video Codecs

I am unsure as if my sound card is in my motheboard, but am pretty sure it is, as I've never put a soundcard in..

My motherboard info shows its an ASUS A7V8x, and info under the SYSTEM BIOS VERSION : ASUS - 42302e31. There is an option to downlaod a BIOS upgrade for my Mobo, but I am hesitant to do as I dont know what will happen. I have downloaded ASUS' audio Mobo sound driver and it is the attached file. I am in tghe process of doenloading the Everest Home edition and may have a log shortly when that develops...

ANy info will be wonderfully appreciated.

Thanks
Dani :tazz:

PS..Well the download file exceeds the limit for the post forum...

Edited by danijean, 24 October 2005 - 01:34 PM.

Advertisements

danijean

danijean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Everest done...report as follows

Attached Files

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the motherboard CD then there is an auto update tool for BIOS updates, so you cannot get the wrong one

The audio drivers will also be on the CD

Run Everest, click + next to computer then summary, look on right at multimedia / audio adapter and post that in

danijean

danijean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It shows..

Multi-media

- Audio Adapter

________VIA AC'97 Enhanced audio controller

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.viaarena....ID=1&CatID=1010 <---there's a list of drivers for the ac'97 devices....you'll need to know what kind of chipset you have

danijean

danijean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Actually, I was just in that site, but I'm looking to see where to find which chipset I have...where can I find it?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The easyiest way is to follow Keith's advice and reinstall the sound driver from your drivers cd which you probably have. In case you don't, enter Asus domain in the internet, look for Support or Downloads and find your driver there. You need to know the exact model of your motherboard. You can get it either from the Everest report which you already made, or just enter Everest, click Motherboard and you will find it there, or open the computer box and see what is written on the motherboard.

If this is your only problem it can be easily solved. I wouldn't recommend a BIOS update because many of these lead to serious problems. In principle I don't update BIOS unless there is a very good reason for that.

Good Luck

danijean

danijean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When i download the audio driver for my Mobo...i get this folder <alc65_wdm323>

Files under it are

Alcxwdm.sys
ALSndMgr.cpl
Alcxwdm.cat
Alcxwdm0.inf
Alcxwdm1.inf
Soundman.exe
alsndmgr.wav

I clicked the exe file and all i got was the sound icon in the takj bar...

aaaaahhhhhhhhhh

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You mean to say that you see the icon but you still have no sound? If yes, enter your BIOS, go carefully through the menus and see if sound (or multimedia or whatever it is called) is not disabled. If you are not sure about this chose Default Settings in the BIOS and this will enable the sound automatically.

By the way how did you check the sound, by inserting an audio cd? Please check it by entering control Panel > Sound and audio devices > Sound dropdown menu > choose a sound from the list at the bottom. A black triangle should appear near the bottom. If the triangle is gray after you chose a sound then the problem is not solved. If it is black, click it and it should change to a square and you will hear the sound from your speakers, provided all connections are in place and secure (I have seen more then once that the only problem was a bad speakers connection, so I mention it just to make sure).

danijean

danijean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, stupid question...how do i get into my BIOS...I probably already know how, but not what its called....

BTW..I'm online all night...I can respond and act pretty quickly... thanks for all your help belatedly and in advance

i looked in the sound thing like you asked and the play button to hear the sound stays grey...

I downloaded the ASUS Audio driver for the MOBO...and the VIA chipset driver..do i put them in my sys32 driver folder? wont do anything until a response...

Edited by danijean, 24 October 2005 - 05:37 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up

If you run the downloaded files they should install to the correct folder on their own

danijean

danijean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I would like to thank all who helped me in my dilemma.... the sound is working now that the driver has been found and installed. Just didnt know what to do...

:tazz:

Dani

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know