Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot leave my touchpad

• Please log in to reply

geoffsherry

geoffsherry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
im new here, and might i add pleased to have discovered this very informative site, i am no way a comp buff, expert just some one who is still learning all the capabilities etc etc . I do however have one major problem , i cannot seem to solve .
i have a Packard bell laptop , windowsxp, never had any real problems before apart from the odd virus which i have managed to remove using the normal methods, but just recently i have found that if i am not active on my comp. example. moving my cursor around, my system stops altogether. I cannot perform 1 task when this happens, and have to reboot by turning off at power button and turning back on, alll is fine untill again i leave the comp for a few seconds, this has proggresivly got worse , i noticed it a while ago but only after longer periods of inactivity.
ive tried numerous virus detection sources, microsoft, spybot, norton, mcFee to no avail.
Please does any body have a solution or suggestion,
please help its driving me around the bend ]
geoff

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Next time it happens, note the time, reboot.

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

geoffsherry

geoffsherry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
noted as you said, do not appear to have any red x on application or in system list . there are however a number of events all at the same time in system, SOURCE...application pop up CATAGORY....None EVENT...26 USER...N/A
when this happened the last time i also recieved a blue screen message stating a problem had occured and that i need to shut down to stop damadge to my comp. the message said Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
windows did not shut down it just froze with this message on screen , I had to turn of at main button
hope this is of any help

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you have a corrupt driver...did you recently update?

Load into safe mode by tapping f8 at memory count up and roll back your sound, video card, the two most likely culprits.

If that fails, download the newest drivers from the laptop makers website and install them.