Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

DVD-RW Drive

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I recently installed a Sony DVD/CDRW burner to my Dell Inspiron 8200.
The hardware was detected installed, PC restarted. Now both drives are read-only and I cannot burn anything to disc. I attempted to correct using the ALT+F in the Setup screen to detect drives, but the problem persists.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by SunnydaleSpike, 24 October 2005 - 01:52 PM.

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
The burner really should be recognized as a burner even if you didn't install any drivers..So...

Maybe you have a faulty IDE (I'm assuming and IDE Device) cable.
Did you use the cable that came with the drive or did you just install it on an existing cable?

Burners are sometimes picky about where they're located on the drive chain.
If you have more than just the burner on the cable then I would install the burner on the top connection of the cable and the other device on the secodary connector.

Maybe try just the burner alone is another test.(if you do have another device installed on the cable)

Make sure that the master/slave configuration is correct..

Some some things to think about or try....