Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

m3u

• Please log in to reply

Kosmic Possum

Kosmic Possum

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I downloaded some music files I thought were mp3s and they are m3us. In my windows 10 player, to play them they have to buffer for about 20 minutes each and sometimes still don't want to play. I have to be online to do this. I googled this up but don't get it. Why won't they play? Can I burn these? They take forever-is this my dial-up connection? I don't understand these files-can you send me somewhere that explains them? Thank you.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try them with Winamp

http://www.filehippo...oad_winamp.html

Open media player and click tools, options, file types, you won't find m3u, whereas you will in Winamp if you click options, preferences, file types

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Its because it is streaming the mp3 from a remote site/webserver. Once you play the mp3 fully, it will be stored in your Temporary Internet Files folder you can copy/paste it from there for future use.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The output is an .m3u file (a Winamp playlist file)

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yes you are right Keith. But windows media player 10 surely supports .m3u files. This support has been in place since the past few versions of Win Media player. The .m3u file just points to mp3 files (it can reside on the local machine or a webserver). The fact that the original poster says "he has to be online" leads me to believe that one or some of the files the m3u is pointing to is on some webpage/server.

heh and yea, my previous post was not in response/contradiction to your post :tazz: . When I saw kosmic's msg it was the only one in there.

cheers

not_napster aka ReckleSS

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello not_napster

No problem, I figure if media player will play m3u files without a fuss then they would be listed as a file option in file types

Winamp will play m3u straight off so getting it will determine if it is something else if they still won't play

Keith

Kosmic Possum

Kosmic Possum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks so much for all the help. I played em and stored em and everything is lovely in Kosmic Possum Land. This site is great. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know