Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

OVER HEATING

• Please log in to reply

09mlb86

09mlb86

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
My dell has been over heating since i bought it. its a 4600 series 3ghz prossesor and a gig of ram with ant ATI Radion 9800 Pro video card. i think it is my video card b/c all the reviews i have read about my grapics card says it over heats i haven't done any upgrades since i customized it from the dell website can some body plz give me some feed back on what u think?

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Why do you think it's overheating? What are the symptoms? Do you have a way to find out your cpu, case, mb temps?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi 09mlb86

Inside your Dell do you also have case fans or is it just the CPU, and power supply fan. I know that at work here, P4 2.8 Ghz Optiplex Dells, they took a step back in time by putting a small dinky fan on the cpu and a heat tube to the back of the case to "direct the heat" out of the case.

I would try to see if you can put a couple of case fans in, one near the front of the case, say behind the harddrive, might be a spot molded in, and one in the back, if not there already. Have the front one suck air in, feel for the air movement inside the case, and the back one blowing out. Makes the cp a little noisier, but does come in handy for those hot summer days..... :tazz:

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
i think it is over heating because the air comming out of the 2 fans is real hot and both fans are runnnig very fast. my CPU normaly runs at 60-80% because i run delta force black hawk down alout but even when its not running my fans r still fast and the air still real hot and my computer is always the hotest in the house (we have 5 computers all togeather in our house so i know where about the speeds and air temp should be but i don't have like a thermomiter readind of the air im just going my feel.

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
mine runs like that even when my room is like 60 degrees

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
mine just has one huge heat sink leading do a case fan at the back my power supply has its own fan all to its self but its still running fast.

PS ty 4 ur time

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
do u recomend any web sites to get fans and or video cards?

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Everyone will have their own little site that they think is great, you could probably do a Google search to find a list of hardware sites. My personal fav is http://www.tomshardware.com/ , good tips, test reports, and other useful info.

I check out different cp sites, including ones in the US, but due to duty and exchange rates, :mad: I have to keep my business in Canada. Do your research on parts, check with chat rooms, but DO find a place where you can buy the item in person, where you can see it, touch it, smell it, taste it, fondle the hardware card......uuhhhh sorry, got carried away. :tazz:

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
thank you I think im just going to look for a bigger fan rather than putting in a bunch of little crappy ones

thak you alout

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I would put in a couple of

little crappy ones

for a couple of reasons, first, if you have one sucking in air in the front of your case, ;) it will help to cool down the harddrives and CD-ROMs, second, one in the back pulling air out of the case will help to create a flow of air that is passing over your (see First) Motherboard helping to cool it down. :thumbsup: Third, there is not really too much difference in FPM (feet per minute) volume between a 120 cm and couple of 80 cm fan.

You will probably get better performance by running a couple of fans instead of one large one. You will also have to take into account a cp is really working when you are playing any game, this includes Solitare.

For a test, open Task Manager, Processes tab - click on View - Show Kernel Times, let this run, start a game, this is a test, so no powerplay is needed, run a game for 2-3 min, close the game and see how much your cp is working. You will be close to capping out at 100%, think of how warm your cp will be after an hour. :tazz:

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
well like i said before my prosser only runs at about 60-80% on the average day (this is with three Dealta Force Black Hawk Down games running simultanoiusly and some messengers and lime wire so it has nothing to do with 100% CPU b/c iv never see 100% out of my CPU

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
usage*

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Reboot your cp, and as soon as possible, open Task Manager, click on Performance tab, as processes are starting and loading on your cp, you will see 100%. All cps will hit 100%.

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
yeah it helped alout ty :tazz: