Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming RIG suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Hi

I am planning to get a new pc and i thought you guys might help me choose good parts. I will be usin gthis pc for medium level gaming and some other light stuff like MSN.

MOTHERBOARD
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
$207

VIDEO CARD (i am planning to adda nother one for SLI later)
BFG 6600GT PCI-E
$227

PROCESSOR
AMD Athlon 64 3000BP 939 Pin (i will get a FX-53 or 55 in a year or so when the price goes down)
$184

RAM
Corsair 1024MB PC-3200PRO TWINX-Dual Channel DDR - TWINX1024-3200C2PRO
$184

HARD DRIVE
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 - 250GB 7200rpm 16MB buffer
$123

OPTICAL DRIVE
LG 52X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo
$42

Case
Aspire X-Dreamer Case (Beige) - CC-ASP-XDR-420BE
$80

:tazz: POWER SUPPLY
Aspire 500W See-Through Pwr Supply - Silver - PS-ASP-AS500W-SL
$88

What do you think???? :)

Advertisements

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
looks pretty solid but for the video card check this out http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814122201
This is a great card cheaper than the one you have and you can SLI is for less my friend got 2 of these for his SLI and the graphics are amazing... but i'll say this if you can wait a little bit longer for the budget you have wait for the ATI x800 crossfire edition to come out and go for that. It's going to surpass the SLI the x850 already does.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
The graphic card you are suggesting is 128mb memory and the one i am suggesting is 256 and the rest is the same.

THNX anyways

any other suggestions??

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
What site are you finding the video card on I can't find a BFG 6600GT with 256 memory

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
www.pccyber.com

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Or if its not 256mb i will get this one

Gigabyte NX66T256D
$235

http://pccyber.ca/sc...product_id=6819

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
scrap a 6600GT from the off they are expensive and even in SLI are fairly useless, get an x800 for the moment it will serve you alot better than a 6600 they are in a completely different league and considering the usually cost about the same then the choice is pretty clear. Abit and Asus crossfire boards will be out as well soon and if you get one of those you could buy an x1800 or x2000+ xfire edition lateron and then add it in along with the original x800. Thats if you want to go the dual card route(more a novelty still than a practical technology for later addition of new cards crossfire shouild remedy that a bit but still two cards is more hassle than one.)

Make sure you get the venice cpu and you wont really have to bother with an fx 55 or 53, most of the 3000 venices can overclock to 2.8ghz without complaint.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I want to stay with Nvidia witht he video card. If the price goes down a littl ebit i will get the 6800.
The price for the 6600 just went dwon to $197.

And about the cpu i will get the 3200+ venice core.

THNX

Any other suggestions??

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its up to you but remeber get the best video card for your money and if you start saying oh i just want one particular brand you limit yourself and you dont end up with as good a computer read some reviews and use those to judge, I always reccomend against the 6600GTs as the only have a 128bit memeory interface compared with the 256bit of the x800 and 6800 range this is a big disadvantage and considering the price is so high in comparison(this has gone down a bit recently with the popularity of the x800 series but its still high)

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I just read some reviews of 6600s and 6800s and they recommend that SLI doesn't really help al ot with the 6600s, it only helps or it is better to use with 6800s or higher. So about that i will get a 6800 gt.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you want but i cant reccomend SLI in my humble opinion its not cost effective as the fact that people will buy them with SLI will maintain the prices higher than normal for a longer period of time and the fact that every new release of card incorporates new shader technologies etc. and the 6800s not coming with a proper HD support either i would reccomend just getting a 6800GT now but dont bother with the SLI, or get a cheaper card and get a really good one a litlle later.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
i am not getting a SLI or 2 6800s now. I will only get one but later i will either get another one or a better card like the 7800 gtx in a year or 2 wen the price geos down.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
i am not getting a SLI or 2 6800s now. I will only get one but later i will either get another one or a better card like the 7800 gtx in a year or 2 wen the price geos down.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?