Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD and DVD drives aren't recognized

• Please log in to reply

swingkid02

swingkid02

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
This is a friends computer... he had a bunch of malware problems that I just cleaned up with the help of that forum.

He is also having a hardware issue that I thought may be related to the malware... but it never cleared up.

He has an installed CD-R and a seperate DVD-ROM drive that intermittently get recognized and dropped.

They haven't shown up in quite a while.. in fact since April.

He noticed the problem first started happening when he had to install a program called Smart Enforcer for a school network.

Any help would be appreciated... thanks guys.

Rob

Advertisements

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
try and uninstall the program that started screwing it up

swingkid02

swingkid02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Sorry... I should have mentioned that I had already unistalled the program that seemed to coincide with the problems.

Oh... I forgot to mention that this computer is using Windows ME... I think in my profile it says XP... that is my computer... not this guys.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ok do you know were to go to go to a recent system time and mirror it back to that time?

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
aka system restore

swingkid02

swingkid02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
yeah I think I so... that is just for hardware though right... I don't want to mirror back to a time when all of the viruses and spybots are still on his computer.

What if I tried to download new drivers from the manufacturers website... is there a way to try from there... maybe with the install wizard or something like that?

swingkid02

swingkid02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
yeah I think I so... that is just for hardware though right... I don't want to mirror back to a time when all of the viruses and spybots are still on his computer.

What if I tried to download new drivers from the manufacturers website... is there a way to try from there... maybe with the install wizard or something like that?

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
that should work getting the newer drivers for the pc. also you might try running virus detection and see if that zaps any (good luck with our man norten) ya it should try to uninstall them also and windows will reinstall on boot up.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
that should work getting the newer drivers for the pc. also you might try running virus detection and see if that zaps any (good luck with our man norten) ya it should try to uninstall them also and windows will reinstall on boot up.