Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick Question

• Please log in to reply

Dayvd

Dayvd

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok I tend to use my computer for everything, from chatting to playing games. Right now I'm hooked on World of Warcract and it's getting to the point where it's taking forever to load. Now I didn't have this problem when I was playing FFXI, but maybe because the hardware was rather newer back then. Before i get into details about where and all I lag, I'll just say the load screen into the game has been taking at least 2 full minutes.

I know my computer is about 3 - 4 years old at the most. Now because of this I know I should buy a new computer but this one works will enough only when I'm not playing. I been slowly upgrading this computer since I been playing WoW. My lastest and problly most important was when I put another 256mb of ram into it.

Now I need to know if theres something I should focus my money on. Like a specific part that I can upgrade first, see some improvement then upgrade the other parts.

I already did the everest scan and it's attached.

Attached Files

Advertisements

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
you have got an afully old hard drive it probablly has a lot of bad sectors and is dying try replaceing the hard drive

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
you have got an afully old hard drive it probablly has a lot of bad sectors and is dying try replaceing the hard drive

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Dayvd! Welcome to G2G!

Before you start shelling out money for parts, lets see if we can't get your computer going a little faster by updating the drivers for your computer. First off, I suggest you download and install the newest chipset drivers for your computer, which in this case would be the Via 4in1 chipset drivers for your VIA chipset.

The next thing I would do is download and install the most recent drivers for your ATI Radeon 9600 Pro which can be found HERE.

I would also suggest you look at the XP Tweaks Second Edition post in this forum (the link to it is in my signature).

Post back with how things are going after doing these. It should help, but there are other things we can do to try to optimize your system.

Fenor

Dayvd

Dayvd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok thanks Fenor. I'll do what you suggest and bump this when I get the answers.

Edited by Dayvd, 24 October 2005 - 06:53 PM.

Dayvd

Dayvd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok I did what you said and I have noticed a really big change in how things were running. Thanks for the help and time you put into it.

One thing that is happeneing, that I can't explain, is my monitor is acting weird. Like I just alt tabed out of the game and it turned the monitor off, then back on to refresh the screen or something. Now I don't know while or not it has to do with the tweaks I might of used or not. I'll post again if the problem is still there in the morning.

Thanks again Fenor.

Dayvd

Dayvd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi again. Everything has been working well with the tips above and all. I'm just asking now that since xmas is near and I'm getting hassled by my family as to what to get me, I need some advice on some items that I should replace for my computer.

I was thinking about building a new PC from start up, but I'm going to wait till I move out and get my own place to do that since, this computer has the cable modem and all hooked up.

So what should I replace to make my computer run faster for the games that I play and some downloads that I do? I'm thinking of the HD, and maybe a new ethernet card.

Any thing that comes to mind please post.

Thanks again, I'll check tomorrow.

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
1st i will look for a good motherboard. then i would prefer to have "high performance RAM"(quality better than quantity) and a good processor(amd :tazz: ).