Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe Mode Reboot -- Urgent

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Exdeus

Exdeus

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello all. I was being helped at http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=72069 by CrustyOldBloke, but he has logged off for the night I assume.

I am having a major problem, and need my computer back tonight for a college assignment, and something has happened based on what he suggested.

I have the WinFixer2005 and something else.

When I would restart my comp, just the black screen would come up, including the logon screen, and the brief Safe Mode notification. Then the screen would remain black and I cannot access anything.

I changed it to boot into safe mode based on the MsConfig. Since I cannot access the start menu now, and the Boot from last known good configuation is not working, I cannot get back to my normal windows desktop.

Is there an easy fix for this or an easy way around this?

I appreciate his help, but I need to get back on my PC as soon as possible.

Thanks if anyone can assist me with just the safe mode issue.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
deleted

Edited by Fenor, 24 October 2005 - 08:23 PM.

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks a ton for the quick reply.

One problem. I am away at college and don't have my Windows XP cd-rom with me currently. Is there another way around this by possibly booting into the Safe Mode with MS-Dos prompt (I dont know if it will come up or not)...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
deleted

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
deleted

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no wonder my bandwidth usage has been so high..... :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Exdeus, please wait for CrustyOldBloke to reply back to your post for further help with your current issue.

Fenor

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi Exedus. I appreciate that you are in a hurry. However, the issue you are having is related to your Malware problems. We don't like to step on each others' toes here. You need to stick to your current thread, and wait for your Staff member to get back online :tazz:

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I am completely aware. However, this is extremely important

If I can have the link to the recovery disk and the instructions on just how to get back to my regular desktop like what was previously posted, I will finish the problem with CrustyOldBloke.

Look, if he doesn't happen to log on tonight again and help me out, I am going to get a zero on my term project tomorrow morning, which CANNOT HAPPEN!

So, please, just help me to get back to my desktop so I can email it out and get it on my disk...thats all I need here!

Thanks if you can help me, I really need this here, and I understand your point of course too, but I dont think he would be offended given the urgency.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Exedus...I understand your problem. I will allow Fenor and the rest of our Tech staff to help you get your desktop back if they can tonight, so you don't get a zero on your paper. :tazz: Good luck!

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thank you for that very much. I really do appreciate it, I just want my desktop back!! :tazz: :)

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Is there anyway just to have that post undeleted with the link and instructions?

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Exedus...doing what Fenor suggested probably won't help. This boot issue is directly related to the Malware you have. I'm going to close this thread. I have a couple of Staff members taking a look, and one of us will post in your Malware thread shortly :tazz: