Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Helping a Dorm mate

• Please log in to reply

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello,

A friend in the dorm I am at asked if I would set up a wireless connection since I have internet and they don't. I agreed, since they are good friends and all.

I have a Siemens SpeedStream 6520 dsl modem/wireless router which uses my Aliant internet account. Aliant has it's own firmware for the router.

Anyway, I went about setting it up, and had difficulty with the encryption settings. I ended up settling on the WPA-PSK setting using the AES code. Then I wanted to check that it worked myself on my laptop. So I unplugged the ethernet cable from my laptop which goes to the speedstream, and tried to use the wireless instead. It asked for the wep key, and I put it in, and it said it was connected, but I could not recieve any webpages, packets recieved were zero.

I have set up a wireless network before using a linksys wireless router, and it works fine, I go home on some weekends and use it, and it has always performed fine.

Note: I also tried a non-encrypted connection, and that did not connect at all.

If you can help we would appreciate it.

Advertisements

Mandrake_Argus

Mandrake_Argus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Dreylivude!

You have setted up WPA-PSK AES?
Well, you can use WPA if you have windows XP SP2 or your XP SP1 have a WPA Patch.
If your computer works fine at home with WEP in your linksys router, chances are your computer does not have support for WPA and you need to upgrade to SP2.
I do suggest if you want to use WPA use the WPA-PSK TKIP mode. Also try changing the channel and ssid of the router. OK?

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I have windows xp sp2, I just got my computer in the summer. The channel I have been using is 11, is there any other channel that would be better?

Mandrake_Argus

Mandrake_Argus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
try to use channel 9 and the ssid to your name.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I'm on channel 9 now, and the ssid option is selected.

The wireless network is connecting, and I am recieving packets, but I cannot get onto any website, or connect to msn and such.

Is it possible that it's just my computer because it was already connected to the internet through the ehternet cable, and I have a static ip address?

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
check your TCP/IP settings for Default Gateway - this would be your routers IP Address; if you don't have this set properly, you can connect all day long to the router, but have no Internet access

Also check the DNS settings on the router; these should be automatically detected if you have a dynamic ISP, if not, then you should have been given some settings, which would include a TCP/IP add and DNS settings

Edited by kd1966, 25 October 2005 - 10:15 AM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Is the wireless router you're having trouble setting up a linksys router? If it is, what model is it?