Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

COD lag

• Please log in to reply

smacky9966

smacky9966

• Pip
  • 3 posts
well.....

I have done everything from adding an additional 512mb of RAM to even putting the catalyst drive on my ATI 9000 mobility radeon card yet nothing still seems to work. Beyond this, all I can say is that the video card is shared memory. So if anybody has any ideas about what might be happening, please tell me.

My laptop is a HP, Pentium 4 3Ghz HT, ATI 9000, 60GB 4200 or 5400 hard drive, 1GB Ram(896MB).

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go

Could you please read Easy XP Tweak and do most of the Tweaks marked in red. This should make a difference. Please note the last part of the first post about being infected, this may also be where you problem is.

When did your computer start slowing down?

Edited by Michael Buckley, 24 October 2005 - 11:11 PM.

smacky9966

smacky9966

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer never really slowed down, it runs pretty well on its own. It only does this with shooting games where it can't play them with out slowing down or on really low graphics. Basically ever since day 1, COD acted like that.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Which call of duty are you playing?

You listed your basic system specs, but more info like model number might be useful.

What I can say based on what you have revealed is that your system is underpowered, especially for Call of Duty 2.

COD2 requires a Directx 9 card, and an ati9000 is not directx 9 (ati really did a disservice with this card, because in the past the first number of the model implied direct version, but that was not the case with the 9000 and 9100 (not sure about 9200).

Also, a laptop typically uses shared memory for video textures, meaning that you are eating up your RAM that the game needs for other purposes.

With all your RAM, this probably is not an issue, but the videocard is the bottleneck here.

You also said LAG---are you referring to single or multiplayer games? (or both).

This could be an issue with network congestion. I am unfamiliar with this game....are the games hosted by the maker, or are they hosted by individuals...try a closer server

smacky9966

smacky9966

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm trying to run COD 1

more or likely though your right about the video card. I tried even putting the catalyst driver on the laptop and that still didn't work. More or likely the video card is not enough for it.

The model I have is a pavilion zv5000

The lag experienced is a graphics lag from single player. Online shouldn'e be a problem b/c I have a T3 line at my school.

Well if I can't fix it up, no problem then.