Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No video/audio on Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply

roppongi

roppongi

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have rather new E-Machine with Windows XP Home Edition. When visiting favorite streaming news site, the media player pops up but when content "plays," there is no video or audio.

I downloaded Windows Media Player 10 thinking it might help, but still no sound or video. A couple of times I got sound by toggling the sound/mute button, but most of the time there's no sound.

Any suggestions appreciated...

ps. Plain English please. I'm not a tech person. I don't understand many of the recommendations on this forum. Many thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
you probably need to download the video codec divx: http://www.divx.com

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you... I don't know what that is, but I'll try.

Wow, I'm drowning on this site. Took me 10 minutes to find what I posted last night...and I'm still not sure "where" it is or how to get back to it.

I appreciate your help!

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Okay, I've looked at the divx.com site... it's says I can download for free 6 months trial.

That's fine with me... but what is 'wrong' with my computer...my windows player? Is there something missing that was supposed to come with my computer??

Any illumination appreciated!

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

If you look more closely, there is a free codec/player Divx package, the 6-month trial refers to their "pro" codec. Here is the link to just the codec/player, watch when you install and make sure to uncheck the box to install the 6-month trial pro codec, it is not needed for simply viewing clips:
http://www.divx.com/.../play/download/

There is nothing "wrong" with your computer, it simply does not know how to interpret or decode the video file compression without the correct codec. These codecs are not typically pre-installed on a computer and you must either download them yourself or WMP may grab them automatically when it encounters a compression that it does not know how to handle.

Hope that helps,
Tom

p.s. Starjax has previously mentioned the free K-lite codec pack that has pretty much every codec you will ever need to play media files, and would be worth a look. Check it out at:
http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

Okay, I've looked at the divx.com site... it's says I can download for free 6 months trial.

That's fine with me... but what is 'wrong' with my computer...my windows player? Is there something missing that was supposed to come with my computer??

Any illumination appreciated!

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Tom,

Thank you. I will try that. I really appreciate your help and clear explanation. I was thinking my computer should have been loaded with everything needed....but apparently not!

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
wow that link was pretty useful. I didn't even know about it. :tazz:

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hey, glad I could help! :tazz:

Another key item is a fast clean media player. I highly recommend the free open-source media player called Media Player Classic. I will give a download link and the Sourceforge link. It will play basically anything, including DVD's! Very nice and all in a 1.72Mb download with no install needed!

http://www.free-code...yer_Classic.htm
http://sourceforge.n...cts/guliverkli/

Cheers,
Tom

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Tom, I downloaded that item... and Windows Media Player screen is still totally black and no audio...

Hummmmmmmmmmm.... can you think of anything else I could try?

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
PS. If I just "chunk" this Windows Media Player (since it does not work no matter what I do) and download the Media Player Classic Tom recommended, how do I get the computer to play the things I want to see through the new player instead of accesssing the dysfunctional player?

In other words, what's my computer going to do with different players resident on the system? Any complications there??

Thanks for any word on this... Jim