Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive issues

• Please log in to reply

tibetanpunk

tibetanpunk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey,
A few weeks ago my secondary hard drive (the one with all my files on it, but not the one with my xp installation on it) became inaccessable, saying that it was not formatted and asking me if I wanted to format it now. I have no idea what caused this to happen, perhaps a virus or a hacker, who knows? ;)
Anyway, I obtained a copy of a hard drive retrieval tool and was able to back up almost all the data that was on the affected drive by copying it to the smaller drive that is unaffected. The hard drive retrieval tool indicated that there were errors on the drive it showed something like this... 'cyclic redundancy check or error (23)' in sector such and such. It was only two or three sectors of the drive and the rest was fine.
Today I decided that because all my data was safely backed up I could now click 'yes' to the question of whether I wanted to reformat my hard drive or not. I did this and all seemed to be going well, the hard drive formatted right until the very end and then told me that it was unable to complete the format. :tazz:
I then ran the hard drive recovery utility, which now indicated that every sector on the hard drive was affected by the cyclic redundancy error..... :thumbsup:
So, then I decided I would try and run a repair on my windows installation and try to reformat again from there, but the os crashed as xp booted from the cd....
I then restarted the computer and found that the secondary hard drive was not recognised at all as being present.....
I also booted into safe mode to run some utilities like adaware and Avast! anti-virus and cw shredder just in case I was infected, but they all came up with nothing, my system appears to be clean.
1 other odd thing I have noticed is that my add remove programs list appears to be 'out of order' and I can only access it through a third party utilities program....
Any ideas about the hard drive? Do the cyclic redundancy errors mean it is ruined?
Could my installation of xp be faulty in some way and format isn't running correctly?
Would a repair fix this, or even a full re-install of xp?
Here is a hi-jack this log in case it gives any insight:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 00:34:03, on 14/01/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\winpatrol.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\persfw.exe
C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\John.HAL\My Documents\Applications\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 61.120.75.136:80
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\winpatrol.exe
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1093111644699
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: PDEngine - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDEngine.exe
O23 - Service: PDScheduler - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDSched.exe
O23 - Service: Kerio Personal Firewall - Kerio Technologies - C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\persfw.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe

Though it appears pretty in order to me....
Cheers! :cheers:

Advertisements

tibetanpunk

tibetanpunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention the make of the hard drive, it is a Maxtor 120gig drive, I don't have the model number because it isn't registered on my system anymore...
But I may be able to find it out from the BIOS if it is nessacary.
Also, but I am not sure, I think my floppy disk drive has stopped operating too as any disk I put into it says that it is not formatted, if that helps to diagnose the issue.

tibetanpunk

tibetanpunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Bummer,
I booted up from the windows xp disk to see if I could format the drive from there, once windows started and I got to the install section I got the message
<setup cannot access this drive>
Which means that the hard drive is a goner as far as I can tell. It must be a hardware fault. This isn't so bad as it is still under warranty and the guy in the shop said they would replace it for me. :tazz: