Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp is not activated(but it is)=cant log in need help asap!

• Please log in to reply

ihardy

ihardy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
FIRST OFF[the pc is 1yr old] i run a program to check my registeries on my pc....the program then crashed. i then shutdown, i went on the pc later on and went to log on but i got a message saying that windows xp needs to be activated, i click yes but then it says that it already is(which is true)so now i cant log in at all
HELP!
HELP!
HELP!
can ya help asap

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello

First I would like to say No one use registry cleaners

The best idea would be to do a Repair Install to fix what ever damage was done.

By the way what program did you use?

I hope this helps.

ihardy

ihardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
well i am searching like i did before to remind me, but the program didnt even get past %3 and it had a digital signiture,

wat files will repair xp get rid off. can i access my harddrive by using somthink like DOS
i have some knowledge in that

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It will not get rid of any files, or programs. It only affects the Operating system files. You will have to do all Windows Updates again after it has finished.

ihardy

ihardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
thanks all i need to do now is find 1 of my 2 xp disk

ihardy

ihardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
the program is called pc mightymax!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
For giggles, I downloaded the program to a clean PC (a test bed that has nothing but a Windows XP Pro install that has never been touched.)

It found 156 errors.

Most of said errors were of a dubious nature, meaning I do not consider them dangerous. I think it puffs the problems up to make it seem like the program is doing something.

That said, nothing that it found and removed would cause your issue, at least it did not recur on this machine.

I looked on various forums for the program and have not found any glowing recommendations. No noteworthy reviews by any trustworthy sources.

However, since the program does access the registry, it could have corrupted it during the cleaning (just as any program can).

It may have also wiped out your wpa.dbl file, perhaps.

Before running the repair, try this:

Reboot to Safe Mode by tapping F8 each second.

Select Safe Mode at the menu

Start/Run
Type
regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
<enter>
Type
regsvr32.exe licdll.dll
<enter>

Reboot

Activate again.

If that fails, the above repair is your best bet

ihardy

ihardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
will do.
now i see y people hate xp so much

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hardy....your problem isn't with xp....it's with a tool that you used on xp....any program that accesses and manipulates your registry is dangerous....just like any other tool....if you don't know how to do what it does manually...then you shouldn't use the tooll....and any time you ever touch the registry...you back it up first.....if at all possible...never use registry cleaning tools on your only pc...

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
There web page if full of lies as far as I am conserned. A lot of what it says it not true.

Also for a Windows operating system, XP is very good. But it could have been a lot better.