Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(SOLVED) Network Printer and DOS Application

• Please log in to reply

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
We have just installed our first proper network printer h00rah! All is well.

Up until now we have been connecting a normal printer to a machine and then sharing it, which is proving to be a pain in the arse now as we have too many people and too many printers and when you move the machine it is connected to it means re-configurin all the PC's.

So anyways, we still have people using a DOS version of SAGE and when we had shared printers, you would do into DOS and type:

net use lpt1: \\machinename\sharename /u:username password

This then meant you could go into sage's printer config and set the printer Local LPT1:

Now the problem is obviously this is a network printer and not shared so how do I map the port so that DOS sage can print?

I could share it and do it the same way, but that would defeat the purpose of having a network printer.

Edited by The_KiD, 25 October 2005 - 07:11 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not always possible depending on the printer. What kind of printer did you get?

The_KiD

The_KiD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
It is a laserjet 1022n.

However never mind, job solved I am a muppet.

Solution?

Add the printer to the machine using TCP/IP port, then on the machine share that printer, then use the net use command to map to the local port and PIFF PAFF POUFF your a winner!

What a clown I am!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Here's another solution that works, too

Install the required print driver for the network printer so that it is
connected to LPT1.

Now, select that printer and the network printer, and click "Enable Printer Pooling"

When you print, Windows will redirect the job it to the available printer, and since the LPT is not available, it will go to the network printer.

The_KiD

The_KiD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Excellent tip Gerry :tazz: thanks!