Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse Pointer moves by itself

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi,

I have a curious little problem with my mouse. First of all, I have a new laptop, but had the same problem with my pc ( a dell, under a year old).

Sometimes, for no reason, the cursor just disappears off the screen! I can bring it back straight away with the mouse of course, but its getting to be very annoying!

It just "flies" off like a rocket, and sometimes a bit slower. Exactly the same problem with the pc. The thing is, its an optical mouse, as was the one on the pc. I wonder?

Also, I may be imagining the following 2 things but Im not sure:

1 It only started after I installed Works 8...

2 I was using the laptop in a different location immediately after buying it, and I dont remember the problem there. But now I have it in the same place as the pc was.... could it be anything to do with speakers and subwoofer????

So thats it! Thanks in advance.

KC

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Hawthorn

Sounds like bad Feng Shui, Karma, life force, pixies, maybe goblins.. :tazz: ..whatever you want to call it, does your laptop have a touch pad screen on it, numerous times I have accidently rested part of my palm on it while typing and interesting things have developed.

You could check your settings in Control Panel for things like pointer speed, snap to...don't think that this is your problem though.

USB or PS\2 optical mouse, change the location of the USB port if you have another one, make sure that the mouse is on a level surface and not a 45 degree slope.... ;) kidding!!!

1 It only started after I installed Works 8...

Have you tried to reinstall the drivers for the mouse, a file could have been over written by the software install.

I was using the laptop in a different location immediately after buying it

Move the laptop to the kitchen table for 30 min to rule out the possiblility of goblins.....

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Will try all that. But the thing is it happened with my Dell desktop too, also optical mouse. On the PCAdviser help forum, several other people seemed to have this problem too, and no solution. Except maybe go back to the mouse with b###s!

KC

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Have you checked to see if you have the lastest software drivers for the mouse, not sure if you have longitech or Microsoft....

webbina

webbina

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am also running A Dell Inspiron and for several weeks the Logitech Wireless USB 2.0 TrackBall Mouse and Keyboard worked well. The Wireless connect point was connected to the Dell via a USB Hub.
Then without warning, the cursor started moving on its own or not releasing an icon if changing between icons. My Touchpad also stopped working. When shutting down I would get a message stating SOMETHING could not close because it was still in use, although nothing I knew of was active. I did everything that has been suggested with no luck. Dell suggested I RUN MSCONFIG STARTUP and disable everything and reboot. This brought back my touchpad use. Eyelid Pustules I then enabled things that I needed or knew were not a conflict. While this was informative it did not pinpoint the problem. When I reinstalled the USB Hub with the wireless access point attached the problem reappeared.
Isolating the mouse problem, papules I went back to the Wired Keyboard via USB hub and the Wiresless mouse and so far so good. The Wired Keyboard and Wireless access point are now in seperate ports on the USB hub.
It seemed to be a conflict between the two wireless devices and the touchpad.

webbina

webbina

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hiii
nodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodulesnodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodulesnodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodulesnodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodulesnodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodulesnodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodulesnodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodules nodules

cnb789

cnb789

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Try turn off blue tooth device.
My Dell behaved the same.