Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox won't show WMP video, has sound only

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi,
Firefox has, for some reason, stopped showing the video part of .wmv files. Quicktime plays mpeg's and I guess I could set RP to play .wmv but I hate RP. I thought the loss coincided with a Firefox update, but reverting back to Firefox version 1.0.3 (I happened to have the install package for it still) has no effect. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling WMP but no luck there either. A related symptom is that FF wants me to update WMP to at least 7 whenever I try to load a video from netscape news and such. I know that WMP 10 is installed since I installed 10 myself, multiple times now.
XP home on a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop
Any help?
Drew

Edited by delawaredrew, 25 October 2005 - 10:50 AM.

Advertisements

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
OK, new info/problem
I decided to try to update Firefox back up to 1.0.7 as a start and now have another problem. I can't open Firefox at all, not through the icon, speedlaunch icon, start menu, or directly from the folder. I had similar problem before and I think I went back to 1.0.3 that time to solve it.
EDITTED: Had to revert to 1.0.3 again. Completely removing 1.0.3 and installing 1.0.7 has not changed the problem of loading at all. Deleted xpicleanup.dat as directed on the firefox forum website but had no impact. Removed 1.0.7 and reverted to .3.

Drew

Edited by delawaredrew, 25 October 2005 - 11:56 AM.