Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC freezing

• Please log in to reply

Nomadski

Nomadski

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Lo all. Ive been having serious problems with my pc just freezing when i load games up. It first happened when i was trying to import video only (games working) - the pc would stay lit up, but mouse froze and system never recovered.

Its now doing it whenever i load games up (every time) as well as when i try playing videos etc. I can surf and stay on pc without doin that no problem without any hangs.

I had noticed the cpu temperature was 60 degrees, so i had bought a new system fan, cpu fan and heatsink. Although this has brought the cpu temperature down a little (55 degrees as im writing this) its not solving the hanging.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Spec

Windows: Windows XP or .NET server 5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
CPU Info: AMD Sempron™ 2800+
CPU Speed: 1995.0 MHz
Sound card: Philips Sound Agent 2
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024
Network Adapters: VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport |
Power Status: High
Time Zone: GMT Standard Time
CD / DVD: F: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S | G: LITE-ON LTR-52246S | H: Generic DVD-ROM |
COM Ports: COM1 COM2
LPT Ports: LPT1
Hard Disks: C: 39.1GB D: 117.2GB E: 123.2GB
BIOS Date: 08/04/04
Serial Number:
Manufacturer: Award Software International, Inc.
Product Make:
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
USB Controllers: Detected: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Detected: 1 host controllers.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start with new video and audio drivers, then turn down video and audio acceleration for those devices

Nomadski

Nomadski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Uninstalled sound and video drivers, then installed Nvidia Forceware Driver 81.85, and Philips sound driver Psc605_00. Turned off the graphics and sound acceleration.

Uninstalled my main game (Call of Duty), reinstalled and during process pc froze again. Rebooted and installed again (fully) and when i tried to load it, it said could not find OpenGL - is this because i have acceleration turned off?

Anyway it froze during install.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: My pc just froze while browsing web. Not done that before, thought id add info.

Edited by Nomadski, 25 October 2005 - 01:28 PM.

Nomadski

Nomadski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Any ideas?

FYI heres a log from HijackThis....

Hope this helps

Edited by Nomadski, 27 October 2005 - 11:12 AM.

Nomadski

Nomadski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Bump :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Nomadski...

Please download, install, and run Everest. Save a log as type htm and attach it to your next post. This will give me your system information.

You may edit the HJT log out of your earlier post...I have saved it for reference.

wannabe1

Nomadski

Nomadski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ah thanks for getting back to me. :tazz:

Have done that and included the everest report.

Please note i have turned hardware accel;eration back on as it was slowin the pc way too much (and it still crashed when off anyway).

I also noticed temp for cpu was 48 in everest, but 2 mins later Gigabytes Easy Tune 5 was telling me it was 54 degrees.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Nomadski

Nomadski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Bump....anyone? :tazz: