Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Freezes At loading screen!

• Please log in to reply

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Ok my problem is similar to the othree guys my comp asked my do i want to start ing safe mode sofe mode with networking or normanlly i click normally and it just stays at the loading screen. i inserted the windows xp disc i have and it didnt help. plz help thank. :tazz:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Are you able to start your computer in Safe Mode?

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
well itrid but it says like i goes thought the drives and then just freezes. it was just working to days ago fine to!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
How old is the computer? Even if it isn't that old, it is possible one of the internal fans went out.

When you inserted the XP disc, what did you try with it?

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
its not that old it didnt matter with the disc! how do i check the fans

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
To check the fans, you must open the computer. Make sure it is not under warrenty before doing so. If it isn't, you can open it and lay it on its side, so the open side faces up. Turn it on while it's open and look at all the fans.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
They all work! :tazz:

unreal

unreal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
well i have the same problem, except me it's on my laptop...
no big deal
i'll try to exaplain a bit the problem
case 1: you choose to start windows normally: at the windows logo loading screen (on boot), the system doesn't read from the HDD and the logo just keeps there, however the 3 blue bars keep on goin from left to right
case 2: safe mode or any other mode (safe w/ networkin or with command prompt, or debugging mode) ... windows starts loading modules (mainly .sys files) ... it gets to agp440.sys (most probably it's already loaded) and freezes there
however, i know it's not a hard disk failure nor a a CPU failure since i can boot normally to linux (using mandriva linux 2005 LE) ... i've had 2 operating systems for almost a year now, with no problem so i know it's also no Linux's fault. + i can check my files on the windows partition from linux.
what's even weirder is that, i had this problem a while ago (around 2 months ago i think) , for a couple of days... then, out of nowhere , windows worked fine... until now, it's happenin again ...
oh, i forgot to note this:
even if you format the windows partition and re-install windows, it doesn't solve the problem
last time (2 months ago), when i had this prob, my DVD rom stopped working as well
so i plugged a USB DVD rom, formatted the windows partition and installed windows all over again: it did the same problem ... the fresh copy of windows freezes exactly the same place as the one before
what's worth noting is: when this happened last time, while in safe mode (actually, while tryin to access safe mode), it just freezed after agp440.sys ... this time, when i try to go into safe mode, after agp440.sys i get a message saying "press esc to not load vax347b.sys" ... well it didn't matter anyway, coz whether i pressed esc or not, no difference both ways.
last time it worked magically ... this time i dunno if it's gonna work ... it's getting me frustrated, so please, someone , anyone , HELP!

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Yah! thats what happens to me aswell! it worked this saturday! And sunday!Now evr since it doesnt!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hmm...this is a very strange problem. It could be damage to a sector of the hard drive where the windows partition lies. Even after formatting the damage would remain, and after reinstalling windows, the OS data would still be in the damaged area.

Try this: If y'all have a Win 98 boot-up disk, insert it and run Scandisk, make sure it does a surface scan. Also run Chkdsk. If you don't know how to run either of these, let me know.

@ unreal: Normally you shouldn't put your own request for help in someone else's topic, but in this case you provided me with some needed info. A staff member might complain about this, but I feel that since your problem is identical and you gave me important info, I thank you. I will try to help you both.

Advertisements

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
do u think i should install it on a new drive

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If you got a spare Hard Drive, go ahead and do install Windows on it. But I'm shooting for a free solution, so if you don't have a spare, let's try to repair. It may not even be the cause. Troubleshooting a problem can take time, but we'll get this solved. :tazz:

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
well im but a 120g hard drive at best buy today so i guess i could try it on that.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
well im but a 120g hard drive at best buy today so i guess i could try it on that.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts