Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Freezes At loading screen!

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Sounds good. Let me know how it goes.

Advertisements

unreal

unreal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
well i wanted to try it this time... windows booted ...
i did chkdsk and found no errors
:S
well sorry about not starting a new thread, but i just thought it's the same problem so it should go under the same thread

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
@ unreal: It's understandable. But computers have grown apart: the same problem could have a totally different solution. That's why we have to go through troubleshooting steps to solve it. If during the process, one thing works for you, but not the other guy, it gets confusing to the person who is helping you. Keep that in mind next time :tazz: . Did you try scandisk, or just chkdsk?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 27 October 2005 - 08:34 AM.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Today or tomorrow i am going to try to load it onto the new Seagate 12g drive and see if that works. i am going to my friends house who is good with comps hes gonna help. thanks so much for you help. :) :woot: :) :woot: :woot: :) :) :tazz: :P :P :( :P

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Today or tomorrow i am going to try to load it onto the new Seagate 12g drive and see if that works. i am going to my friends house who is good with comps hes gonna help. thanks so much for you help. :) :woot: :) :woot: :woot: :) :) :tazz: :P :P :( :P

unreal

unreal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
well i tried both .. with no errors
well i think in my case it's a hardware failure ... somehow
u see, after i got angry coz it wasn't working ( :tazz: ), i kind tapped the laptop (small hit) which caused the laptop to start reading from the HDD and it loaded to Windows... and now it's working fine :) i hope it won't evolve into something serious :)
thanks for ur help

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Generally it's not a good idea to hit your computer, even a little bit, but in this case it seems to have helped you :tazz: .

If you want to confirm that it is hardware failure, let me know. I know of a program that can tell you the data collected by the SMART of the hard drive. This data can be used to tell if the hard drive will fail in the near future. It will also give you voltage readings, so you can see if you're getting the correct voltages.

unreal

unreal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
yes please i'd apreciate it if you give me the name of that program

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty. The program is Speed Fan and it can be dowloaded here:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan426.exe

After you run it, the first screen should give you fan speeds and voltages. Write down the fan speed of each fan as well as the voltage for each. When you post your reply to me, put the required voltage (the left number) next to the actual voltage (the right number) just as you see it.

Next click on the S.M.A.R.T tab and, in your reply to me, include any items that have something next to them other than a Green check or a blank.

unreal

unreal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
well i saw the HD temp (34C with a blue arrow going down) and something called temp1 (57C with a fire next to it), no voltages though... maybe coz it's a laptop and it has a different architecture?
anyway, here's what S.M.A.R.T said

Start/Stop count 100 100
Power on hours count 90 90
Power cycle count 100 100
Power off retract count 100 100
Load cycle count 91 91
Temperature 100 100
Reallocated event count 100 100
Current pending sector 100 100
Offline correctable 100 100
UltraATA CRC Error rate 200 200
Disk shift 100 100
Loaded hours 93 93
Load retry count 100 100
Load friction 100 100

there are two gauge bars below. one is fitness the other is performance ... they're both full

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It appears that your laptop is burning up. There are two things to do about it...clean the CPU cooler (and make sure the CPU fan is running) and look into a laptop cooler (usually available wherever they sell laptops). One kind of laptop cooler can be found here:

http://www.maplin.co...29973&doy=11m10

This is most likely the problem. Even though your Linux OS works fine, it may need less of your computer's components to operate, and it may use less resources than Windows while running. Regardless, your heat needs to be addressed.

Let's check your hard drive for errors, just to be certain. Get it into Windows (even if you have to "tap" it again :tazz: ) and run scandisk. Check both of the following options before scanning:

Automatically fix file system errors
Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

It will ask you to schedule scandisk to run the next time you start windows. Tell it yes and then restart your computer. The scan can take anywhere from 1-3 hours, depending on the size of your hard drive, so do it at a convinient time for you. Even if scandisk works, you still need to get the temperature down. Keep me informed of your progress.