Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer freezes when it wants to

• Please log in to reply

sallu

sallu

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello all, first of all i would like to thank in advance the person who is able to answer my question.
i have a p4, 1.3 ghz, bought it about 4 yrs ago, it has 256 mb sdram.

recently it started giving me problems and i spent over 100 bucks on it at the repair shop but it was fixed only for a week even though they formatted and they said they do not give warranties.. ( ripped off)

anyway when i start windows xp the screen that comes right after the first screen is my problem, the part right before xp is loading. more often than not the computer says that i need to insert windows xp cd, boot failure.

so i open up the cpu and i bought a pressure air tin, i blow air pressure on the whole inside and then restart and it works just fine!!!!!!

but i cannot always open it up abd blow air, besides those tins cost a lot. furthermore, sometimes the computer is running and i am using say office or internet explorer or whtever and it starts making wierd loud sounds, not beeping sounds but really loud loading sounds, then it crashes. and when i restsrt it the boot sequence failure stuff comes up and i have to open it up and blow pressure air inside.

i am not too much of a computer geek so if somebody could help me out it would really be appreciated.
thankyou,
regards,
salman

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Open your computer up and turn it on while it is open. Have the open side facing up so you can see inside. Check all the fans to make sure they are working and then post back.

sallu

sallu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i checked it, and there are two fans, they are both operating perfectly.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Sounds like your hard drive may be failing. Those loud sounds you hear, are they like loud humming?

sallu

sallu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i wouldnt really say humming. it is just like the sound that comes when the computer is loading a lot of programs, well that sound multiplied by a lot. i was also initally thinking it was the harddrive. u think it could be anythign else? if not then i will go ahead and put in a new harddrive

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi sallu...

Please download Speed Fan, install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures. Post the voltages and the high and low temps you see preferrably at or near the time you hear the noises.

wannabe1

sallu

sallu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
at the moment the sounds are not there, when they do occur i will post back, thankyou.