Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low disk space seems to have caused my desktop to disappear

• Please log in to reply

scotty_118

scotty_118

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

I have been getting a low disc space warning for some time ( I know i need a bigger hd) :tazz:

It seemed to get more serious last night so i decided to do something about it and made more space on my c drive. I have a 60gig hd that is partitioned. So there is now enough space 900mb. But before i did this i noticed that my desktop had disappeared. But i thought this might be temporary. However, when i restarted my computer and logged in as admin (my usual setting) it was still this very limited desktop.

I have another couple of logins at the welcome screen and if i use one of those it seems to load properly -- by that i mean things load into the system tray. When i am in as admin there is nothing. I tried to load msn and it wont -- usually it is in the system tray when i start.

I have looked at this posting and its nearly the same problem but i thought i would mention the differences that i had.

Link to other topic

It seems as though all the settings for my admin login have been moved.

Is it possible that because of the low disk problem that the admin log in is now in a limited mode or something?

Thanks for your help

scotty

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Scotty, welcome to Geeks to Go. I'm sorry this isn't related to your topic, but I noticed you had three blank topics before this one. Could you please describe any error(s) that you may have received while trying to start a new topic?

scotty_118

scotty_118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

When i pressed the post button i got a blank error page -- i used the back button to get my posting back. As i had put together a rather long posting i didnt want to loose it -- so i posted again and same problem. Eventually i opened a new window and tried again.

cheers

scotty

scotty_118

scotty_118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

When i pressed the post button i got a blank error page -- i used the back button to get my posting back. As i had put together a rather long posting i didnt want to loose it -- so i posted again and same problem. Eventually i opened a new window and tried again.

cheers

scotty

scotty_118

scotty_118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
looks like it happened again :tazz:

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yeah admin it happened to me too. Did about 5 reposts on one thread. I had pm'd a Global Mod to remove em for me.

Its gives the network connection error (tcp_error)
Gives a msg saying that the server is either down or is too busy.

not_napster

scotty_118

scotty_118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Anyone got any ideas on this please?

any help much appreciated

scotty

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
How did you free the extra space on your HD by deleting material or changing the partitions size? Is it possible that you deleted some files which you shouldn't? I think that you should try a repair installation of windows. You will not loose any material but will have to download windows update again. Detailed instructions are pinned at the top of this forum.

Just as a matter of rutine, if you can enter through another account run before the repair an updated antivirus, an updated antispyware, run windows disk cleaner and defrag..

scotty_118

scotty_118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi V.A

thanks a lot for your reply. I just have to find my XP disc now :tazz: