Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD read CD burn drive

• Please log in to reply

offspring_fan101

offspring_fan101

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi
I've had this problem for a while and just been dealing with it, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for fixing it. I have a dvd 16X read and 52X cd-rw drive. The problem is that it seems to randomly stop working. I can't find a pattern or program that seems to cause it. The drive will just stop detecting disks inserted into the drive. The lights flash as though it is trying to read it, but then it just doesn't load the disk. I've checked device manager, no problems, and uninstalled it and scaned for hardware changes many times. The drive was up to date when this started (not sure if it is now as I have removed and installed it a few times). To get it to read the disk, I have to reboot the computer, and then it will work fine for a while.
Any advise Appreciated.
Thanks
Craig

Advertisements

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
update your drivers

offspring_fan101

offspring_fan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Drivers updated, problem still persists.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
go to http://www.geekstogo...action=cat&id=1
and download the software to do heck on them to find out the problem.

offspring_fan101

offspring_fan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
sorry, what software is it you want me to download?

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
sry try the cdgone patch. i have to goto work so i will not be on for 6 hours so if you need help with it one of the better guys might come along if not just pm me and i will get back to you

offspring_fan101

offspring_fan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok! Thanks for your help!

offspring_fan101

offspring_fan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So I've tried everything so far (updating drivers, uninstalling and scanning for h/w changes, the cdgone patch) and so far no luck.
Any ideas? My drive is LG and the driver is GCC 4521B Thx
Craig

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
How old is your computer?

offspring_fan101

offspring_fan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Its only a year and a half.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
it is a small posibillity that you have a eide cable going bad i had that problem with mine for a while and changed out the cabels and it worked fine try that.

offspring_fan101

offspring_fan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey. I haven't tried the above suggestion, partly because I don't understand, but mostly because I found a new problem, which is probably the cause. My cd drive doesnt spin cds anymore! Think that might be a problem?? (thats not a serious question). So, im guessing theres not a lot one can do about a dead motor, right? if so, please advice, if not, anyone got suggestions for a good dvd writer to replace my drive (I'd love to get the plextor, but thats WAY out of my price range. I'm hoping under 100 bucks.
Cool, Thanks Everyone, and especially finehout!
Craig

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
l o l thats great alright. if you have a local walmart near you you can oick one up for under 100 that is were i got mine at well ttyl