Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Merge Partition

• Please log in to reply

ESEA

ESEA

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have devided my drive some time back into 3, two operating and one data partition and now I have no need to have two operating systems and would like to merge the two partitions without toutching the data partition. I had PatritionMagic 7 and tryed to use it but unfortunatly it freeses the system. I downloaded PatritionMagic 8 and this still happens :tazz:

Thanks ESEA

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz:
Did you run CHKDSK and defragment lately? You probably should do both of those first. Open My Computer, then right-click your partition (one first, then the second) and click Properties, then go to the Tools (may be something else, I'm in Linux right now, so I'm not sure) tab and click Scan Now..., then check all the checkmarks. You will be prompted to schedule it for a restart, so click yes and restart your computer when you are ready. Once it restarts, your computer will say it is going to scan your hard drive, press a key to continue into Windows and skip the scan. Don't skip the scan, but it will take a while.
When that is done, follow the same steps as before, but instead click Defragment Now...
Once that is done, do the same thing over with your other parition.

Edited by Pi rules, 25 October 2005 - 06:59 PM.

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Pi
First of all, thanks for your time :tazz: and sorry not getting back sooner.
Amongst other things(away from the computer, I managed to get around to do what you have suggested.
Well we have a big improvement we are not crashing the system when starting PartitionMagic, the program starts up and I go through the routine of merging the partitions but I get a :
" Access violation at address 0052DC00 in module 'PMagicNT.exe'. Read of address 00000008. "
when I hit the go icon
:)
Now where would I go from here?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I believe that htis may be an incompatibility with XP SP1 (not sure about SP2). I also found that it may be incompatible with Half Life. Also try to make sure any Symantec products are not running when you try it. You may also want to scan for any malware just in case with either you AV program or one of the online scans in my sig.

However, I believe the main 2 solutions are an upgrade to PM 8 or try using the PM rescue disks instead.

Edited by Pi rules, 28 October 2005 - 06:49 PM.

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I will try to see if the demo of PM 8 will work<_< . I have SP2. The only Half Life I know is one half on the computer and the other with family and kids:blush: . Symantec products well I got the System works, NPF and NPM. With NAV,do I still need to scan for any malware?
Do I switch it off using the Start/run/msconfig an do the reboot thing?
Well I will have to dig in the depths of my drawers of my desk to find the rescue disks
I will let you know how it works

Thanks

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
OK. Just try it without disabling your Symantec products first, I don't think they'll affect it with the rescue disks. I would scan for malware first, although it shouldn't have an effect either (but it's always good to get rid of any malware).

Good luck! :tazz:

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I did the Start/run/msconfig an do the reboot thing and tryed the Demo of PM8 and it did did work but unfortunatly the demo is just a demo. :)
I tryed the PM7 again but I still got the " Access violation at address 0052DC00 in module 'PMagicNT.exe'. Read of address 00000008. " So I took the plunge and got the rescue disc going but on the side that was merging
First I manmaged to do the merge BUT......... I could not get back to main operating system :tazz:
I mucked around with the PM7 in rescue mode and managed to get all going again after a few boots and almost :) to the fact that I might have lost everything.

You guys Rock :woot: Thanks for the help and I will sertainly be spreading the word about geekstogo.com

ESEA

BTW I like your nick

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
That's odd that you couldn't get back to your OS...There are programs and some other ways that could help you recover lost data if that had happened, but I'm sure happy it didn't!

You guys Rock notworthy.gif Thanks for the help and I will sertainly be spreading the word about geekstogo.com

I'm glad you like the site! :tazz:

btw: I like my username too! :)

PS: Thanks for posting back with the results!

Edited by Pi rules, 29 October 2005 - 09:52 AM.