Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

Exdeus

Exdeus

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello.

I recently was just disinfected with certain Spywares, and as a final step I disabled and deleted my previous restore points. I shut my computer down and restarted. I then attempted to restart System Restore by right clicking on My Computer --> Properties --> System Restore --> and checking the box there to reenable it.

I am getting the following error: System Restore encountered an error trying to enable/disable one or more drvies. Please restart your machine and try again.

I restarted a good 5 or 6 times and still the same.

I had two HD's, one being partitioned, so I have C: , D: , and E: drives. Plenty of memory on each.

Any ideas as to a fix here folks?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Exdeus, 25 October 2005 - 03:44 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try this first.

navigate to c:\windows\inf and look for sr.inf....right click and choose INSTALL

Reboot, see if you can turn it on.

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
It says in order to install it that I need the SP2 Windows XP Home cd-rom. I dont have that at the moment, I am at school.

Have to run to a meeting, be back in an hour or so.

Any other way here? I tried pointing the installed to the file in the C:\Windows\Inf folder...but it didnt work

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay, I am back. Like I said, it says I need that thing and I don't currently have my XP disk.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in explorer, go to TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS, VIEW TAB

SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS

look for a folder called SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION

double click and look for any folder that looks like this

_restore{3E81599F-04A8-.................................}

Delete all of them folders *there will be a SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION on each drive, so check them all.

Now, go to START > RUN type
CMD
ENTER

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

say yes to check disk at next reboot

Reboot.

Take a walk this will take an hour or two.

On reboot, try turning system restore on again

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Same error.

However, when the check disk window booted up, it only took all of about 30 seconds to scan my C: drive. Now, my C: drive is 150gb, and my D: drive is 84GB and my E: drive is 150GB...so that just doesnt seem right.

Also, those folders you told me to look for, they don't exist. I could not find any folder on any hard drive called _restore anything...

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
If I just get my Windows XP cd-rom from home and do a repair install, should that fix all of my windows problems?

Also, will that hurt any of the files I have on my PC or will it strictly just repair windows?

Thanks for any more info.