Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System crashes & repeating errors

• Please log in to reply

wiredsc

wiredsc

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
This is the third post I have done in the past few days. My computer is running well, then creating problems again just when I think the problem is solved.

At present I am running firefox instead of IE6 as IE was presenting errors, even after a repair of XP. However after running firefox nicely for a few hours it has now started to present errors again.

AppName: firefox.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.0 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 80000000

I also managed to save the temporary accompat.txt file that it created, which can be emailed if needed.

These errors are completely random, and at present it only seems to be happening on firefox, I have deleted zonelabs as it seemed to be somehow causing problems, and I am now on AVG.

I also believe that some drivers are conflicting somewhere as my computer keeps crashing. There is also no pattern to this either as it crashes randomly whilst browsing, however, it always crashes during games. The crash is an automatic reboot, with no warning or blue screen, the HD clicks but does not seem to completely shut down.

Originally the serious error report stated it was a graphics device driver, and after updating the drivers the problems continued, I have replaced the four year old GeForce 2 MX with a not too old GeForce FX 5700LE, and now when the computer crashes it just states that it was a device driver error, but I cant figure out which driver is causing the error.

Yesterday when the problems were multiple, it stated the error as a hardware fault, however that hasnt happened today. Could that be an overheating CPU? despite coolers it seems to be running on average about 48-49 degrees ©

I have checked through 'event viewer' but it does not seem to have created any log of any information whatsoever for today.

I would realy appreciate any advice, just to get me working on atleast one problem, thanks.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sure sounds like a driver issue to me. I'd start with the video driver. Download the Driver Cleaner: http://www.drivercleaner.net

Remove all drivers, then reboot and install the latest video driver. Next, be sure you have the latest drivers installed for your motherboard chipset.

wiredsc

wiredsc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Cheers, ill have a ganders at that and let you know. Thanks

wiredsc

wiredsc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just downloaded Driver Cleaner, just before I opened it a screen popped up from adwatch, and before I managed to read it, my computer rebooted without a blue screen or warning, and the error report says that the error is being researched.

I was running firefox, windows media 10, AVG, windows firewall and Adwatch at the time

wiredsc

wiredsc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
sorry to add another but I cant edit.

I also wanted to ask, about the best way to remove the drivers, will driver clean do it for me? and what would be the best option for finding out the most up to date and CORRECT drivers for my motherboard. I have tried looking at the gigabyte site and it has no download option, however it is an nForce2 motherboard, and the current drivers I have are from the latest 66.93 nvidia driver package.

thanks again

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You should have an edit button, third from the right on the bottom right corner of your post.

DriverCleaner is the best I've found for completely removing video drivers. You can download the latest nForce drivers direct from nVidia: http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp

wiredsc

wiredsc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for that, ill give it a shot.

Just a quick note, that I have just tried to print the readme instructions which caused my system to reboot again, apparently caused by a graphics device driver. And for some reason my computer has found new 'unknown hardware' and wants me to install software for it, which I am avoiding at the mo.

wiredsc

wiredsc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Completed all the tasks, system was running fine, had a few minor errors which closed down firefox but other than that it was ok. Played a game, got further than usual, but when I went to exit to windows, the system rebooted again, because of a device driver.

It has rebooted now atleast 3 times in 24hrs, and the computer has hardly been used.

here is the page that comes up after a crash:

microsoft error

I presume its standard, but im clutching at straws here. Im just trying to avoid running through all my drivers to find the faulty one.

Thanks for your help so far,