Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop is gone and no toolbar or right click either

• Please log in to reply

chisox

chisox

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My desktop is gone. All I have is my background. The only way i can access programs is through the task manager. This is getting really annoying. Something happened when I ran CleanUp! one day and i think I might have deleted some important files from the computer. I have tried to get help here beforre, but Keith gave me directions thinking I had a desktop to work with. Please kelp me and if you do can you give me directions on how to do all this through the task bar. thanks

-chris

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi chisox!

Can you boot into Safe Mode and in safe mode are you able to get completely to the desktop? Try logging in with normal user account first, if that doesn't work, then try logging in as the Administrator.

Fenor

chisox

chisox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thank you fenor! for responding

i did boot into safe mode, and it asked it I wanted to sign in as the administrator or my normal accout (they don't give me this option when i boot regurally) in safe mode, my background is gone, and there is some microsoft stuff at the top, but the screen is black.

chisox

chisox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
same thing happened when i booted into safe mode with my own account

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello

Have you used any registry cleaners? Doing so often causes this.

To fix it please open Ctrl + Alt + Delete and in the "Applications" tab press "New Task" and type sfc /scannow this will have a blue bar and need the windows XP CD, when the Bar gose reboot. It will replace any missing or corrupt files.

Hope this helps.

Fenor just as a note Cleanup some time dose do things like this, any thing form the Windows XP theme going to this or worse. I have seen it about 5 times now (plus once on my computer). Funny thing is every time the person has run a registry cleaner, and several staff have had the same thing when testing it out. There was a thread about it in the hidden staff forums. I thought I would tell you since it come up here.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 25 October 2005 - 08:38 PM.

chisox

chisox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i ran sfc /scannow, it took about 20-25 minutes, the blue bar filled up, and it just went away, it didn't even give me confirmation that it finished it didn't ask me for my windows XP CD

Edited by chisox, 27 October 2005 - 07:36 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It must have used a catch of all the file needed on you hard drive, every thing else sounds normal. When you rebooted was it fixed?

If you are still have the problem you should try a Repair Installation of XP

Edited by Michael Buckley, 27 October 2005 - 09:11 PM.

chisox

chisox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
if I repair installation of XP, will i lose all my itunes music? the songs are very important to me.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, chisox.

You will not lose any data. All it will do is delete and replace the operating system files.

You will have to install the updates again from Windows Update, though.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Yes as OwNt says you don't lose any data. The only reason I ever tell anyone to do this is because you don't lose any data. It also dose do a few things to the registry so the odd setting may changes as well. It is very important that you do the Windows updates again.

Advertisements

chisox

chisox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a disk that says OPERATING SYSTEM
reinstallation CD windows XP Home Edition including service pack 1a

if this is the disk, can i just run it through my dell and it will show me how to reinstall?

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD the same way you did to install windows. On the first screen with the three options, press enter to set up windows. On the next screen press F8 to agree to the EULA. The screen after that should list a windows installation. It should be highlighted already, so go ahead and press R. Simply follow the instructions from there. That's the whole repair installation.

chisox

chisox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did not get the option "Press any key to boot from CD" can i do this another way?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
To do a repair installation of XP please read This

chisox

chisox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I followed all the directions exactly as that 3 page poist said, and all it did is make everything bigger. my desktop is still missing, and i have no toolbar, i really don;t want to lose my music, is there any other way?