Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting connected to the internet problems

• Please log in to reply

shortcake

shortcake

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am trying to use one of the free AOL disks you get in the mail to get onto the internet using a dial up connection. When I installed the disk on my windows 98 system it installed the software correctly but couldn't find my modem to connect. I tried calling AOL for support but that wasn't successful.

I then tried to do a modem test on my computer to see if it was working and the modem test said that it wasn't working properly but didn't really say what the problem was. So I don't know what to do or how I can fix the modem, if it is a modem problem or is it AOL ? How do I check and fix the modem? I"m on a Dell desktop running windows 98, using a dial up connection. :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did you get a software disk with the modem? How were you connected with the net before? If you know the make and model of modem just go to the makers website for the software. I will require a bit of hunting around.

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I tried using the software disk that was sent with the computer from Dell and it only lists modem's comaptable with windows NT, I"m on Windows 98 so not sure if that will work ? I went to the dell website from another computer at a different location to get the driver and its a zip folder. I can save the files to disk and download the driver that way but the problem is that its a zip folder, and the computer I"m wanting to install it on doesn't have winzip. The computer I downloaded the file from is on windows xp. What should I do now ?

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I tried installing the modem driver I got off of the Dell's website for the computer and it didn't work. It would unzip the files but still no connection to the internet. Still saying no internet connection could be found. This is after I completely erased the hard drive previously. Is there something else I need to install besides the modem driver? What do I do now? Running windows 98. dial up.

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I tried installing the modem driver I got off of the Dell's website for the computer and it didn't work. It would unzip the files but still no connection to the internet. Still saying no internet connection could be found. This is after I completely erased the hard drive previously, and reinstalled windows 98. Is there something else I need to install besides the modem driver? What do I do now? Running windows 98. dial up.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!