Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
This just randomly poped up after I shut my computer in my room off the other night. THe message NTLDR is missing crt + alt + del to restart. When I do that just keeps bringing me back to same screen. What do I do I just had to reformat like a week ago and I dont know what is happening to my PC. PLEASE HELP

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Might be time to run a full diagnostic of your hard drive, if you didn't do that before you reformatted. I's suggest you go to the hard drive maker's website and download diagnostic solftware to a floppy, you can also burn it to a cd-rom if your machine doesn't have a floppy drive. Then run some tests. Don't "low level format", that erases your drive, unless you intend to install again.

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
ok I ran the full test hopefully correctly this is where I am stuck. There are 10 bad sectors (if you want the #s I can give them to you) 2 are in use with one being windows/system32/config/software other is /$BadClus. What should I do replace all, replace multiple, or replace none? Thanks for any help

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
bump any help please?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

bump any help please?

We're here, be a little patient with us. Given what you've found I suggest you get a new hard drive and reinstall on it. I've seen 80gb hard drives on sale for as little as thirty dollars, so do some shopping around. At these prices it's hardly worth messing with the old one.

Edited by Tyger, 26 October 2005 - 06:59 PM.

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
if you get a new hard drive you have to reinstall windows xp right which unfortanetly I dont have the disk for is there anyway to make this work? Thanks for any help

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

if you get a new hard drive you have to reinstall windows xp right which unfortanetly I dont have the disk for is there anyway to make this work? Thanks for any help

I don't quite understand how you reformatted without the installation disk, maybe you ran scandisk, which isn't the same as formatting. If that's what you did you may need to run scandisk again in ms-dos mode to correct the current errors, then get a new drive, make sure it has a software disk with it or that you can download the software from the makers website, you can do that with Maxtor, Western Digital or Seagate. If you get your old drive working again you can make an image copy of it to the new drive, saving all your files, programs and settings. You may also be able to do that by booting from the cr-dom or a floppy even if the old operatang system isn't working correctly. Then you could make repairs to the OS on the new working drive.

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I used someone elses CD key which I no longer have thats how I reformatted

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I used someone elses CD key which I no longer have thats how I reformatted

Your product key should be on the side of the machine. That's where they put them now. When I reinstalled on an HP I didn't need the key, it came up automatically, but I had it handy just in case.

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
its a custom built pc made by my friend by parts from new egg