Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen

• Please log in to reply

kenthetrucker

kenthetrucker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: HELP I have no clue as to what I'm doing. I have a blue screen and have no way to get to my start button -have no desktop. I got on the internet by ctrl-alt -del and setting the new task as aol 8.0 any help in plain old talk a trucker can uderstand would be appreciated thank you. Ken

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go

Can I ask a few questions? When you say blue Screen, do you mean a blue screen of death, that has a STOP code on it? (Post the stop code it that is what you are getting).
Or do you mean that your back ground is blue and that the Start button is missing and you have no icons?

kenthetrucker

kenthetrucker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Michael thanks for your reply. You were right on with blue screen-no start button and no icons.It is as if windows only loaded so far then stopped. any suggestions?? thks.Ken P.S.-thks.for the welcome-heard about you from a man who works at TRENT UNIVERSITY HERE IN PETERBOROUGH

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
First, this can be malware related, but I am going to try to rule out other options first.

When you computer gets to the black blue screen, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete, then in the Applications tab press "new task"
In the box that comes up type sfc /scannow and then press "Ok"
This will give a blue bar when it goes reboot. This will need the windows XP CD so have that ready and in your computer. Any missing or corrupt files will be fixed.

kenthetrucker

kenthetrucker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
going to try this now thks.M Ken