Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where to start...

• Please log in to reply

nArCkY

nArCkY

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello, well i im wondering if anyone could help me out here, i've always had a thing for programing and always wanted to do that when i get older too. So i was wondering if anyone could help me on where to start, what to do, what to practice and such, i've talked to many people some say start with HTML and thats it n stuff, though i get what they're saying, i was hoping someone could help me out a little more specificly. I'm just mainly looking for a place to start and what to learn and well i hope you get the point lol. You can pretty much treat me as a noob too =P.

Also, i would also like to get to know web graphics and anything else there is to pretty much know (web page things, graphics like said, and w/e else you can think of i guess) though its alot to ask for, just joping someone could help out =)

Thank you for your time.
-nArCkY

P.S sorry if i posted this in wrong place, wasnt sure where to so i figured here, move if needed =)

Advertisements

Magilla

Magilla

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 26 posts
Hey nArCkY. Nice to see another budding programmer :tazz:

As a general rule, you should start by learning a language that has to do with the reason that you want to learn to code. For example, if you want to code web applications and databases, you shouldn't start with C, Pascal, COBOL, Assembly etc; you should start with HTML, and then learn CSS, php, Javascript and the like. If, on the other hand, you wanted to create yourself an operating system, HTML wouldn't be very helpful.

For learning the principles of programming, I usually recommend Java - it's comparitively easy to understand, the documentation (JavaDocs) are very good, and the compiler is free. Furthermore, your apps will be cross platform, and Java can be used both on the local machine, and for web interfaces.

So sit down, and have a think about what it is you would like to achieve, and then pick a language to suit.

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
lol i gave up on the PM =P so here i go, well what would i really look into for...web design, graphics (err website n uhh w/e else there is) stuff with websites, and then like programing (game making or w/e) things in that catagory

Magilla

Magilla

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 26 posts
I can't really help you with graphic design myself, but as far as programming goes...

If you want to pursue web programming first, I suggest that you start with HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and SQL. Those are the only things you need to create forums (such as this one), CMSes, Blog sites and the like.

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck - there is plenty of help to be found.

Oh, and don't use WYSIWYG editors, because you won't actually learn anything about the languages :tazz:

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
For webdesign, like Magilla said start with: HTML/XHTML > CSS > Javascript > PHP > SQL

you can find them all @
www.htmlite.com
www.w3schools.com

both or highly recommended....by me :tazz:

Graphics.....Well there are tons of programs you can use. There is Flash which has animation, Photoshop (which I use), Paint Shop Pro (which I have :)).........
Only downside of graphics programs is that they are a little bit expensive, but I would recommend Photoshop.

www.solidnakedesigns.com for a couple of Photoshop tutorials

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ahh thanks for the info ! cant ever have enough if it ^_^

-nArCkY

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Best to start simple.

Batch files are the simplest form of "programming" you can get. You just use a whole bunch of programs that come with the OS and then call them to do various things. Useful for automating tasks, but wouldn't really do anything fancy. They have been phased out to an extent after Windows ME dropped all support for MS-DOS though but if you were there at the time of Windows 95, it was mildly fun as well. :tazz:

HTML is relatively simple to learn and it also teaches you one of the key rules of programming for high level languages: Close what you open.
HTML will also teach you about patience; especially when it comes to making web pages that work in both Firefox and Internet Explorer 6. Also, HTML doesn't give you much in the way of errors so on a debugging front it teaches you about writing clean code as well.

Branching out from HTML is Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). Very easy to do, easy to learn and just drop it into a webpage. Then maybe move onto the web technologies such as Javascript and the like.

VBScript is a cut-down version of Visual Basic which is also used in Microsoft Office 97 and later. It comes in useful for when you decide to play with the full-blown Visual Basic later on.