Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems playing DVDS

• Please log in to reply

Wigster78

Wigster78

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry if in wrong forum.
About two months ago, my pc stopped playing DVDs. I can play any mpegs i upload.
When I put a disc in the DVD drive, it states "D: please place a disc in the drive". No problems with C: drive though. I'm not online on this pc so don't think I have picked up a virus on anything....

Advertisements

ComputerJoe

ComputerJoe

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
When you put a CD in D:\ does it work?

Wigster78

Wigster78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yep, no problems with CD's in D:\

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check if there is a firmware update for the drive

If there are a number on the manufacturer's site, make sure you get the exact one for your drive as firmware updates are non reversible

Wigster78

Wigster78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Surely I would not need an update to play DVD's I have previously played? As previously stated, I am not online on that machine.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curious, if you type devmgmt.msc in the run box(press the windows sybol botton and the r to find it) can you see if the driver for the cd has a yellow sybol. Remember, your system is like a boat and if you have added some new app or patch to your system that often pushes something else(in this case your driver for the cd) off the boat so to speak.