Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64 bit athlon or p4

• Please log in to reply

Simmy

Simmy

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi All,

I am currently saving up for a new pc as I am currently having problems with jerking when playing games such as Tiger Woods 2006 and Fifa 2006. I currently have:

1.4gb Athlon
776mb ddr ram
160 gb h/d
Radion 9800 pro 128mb graphics card

I think it is my graphics card that cant cope and maybe the mem as it is only ddr. (been told ddr3 is what i need?)

Anyway I have been looking on www.overclockers.co.uk for a new system and would like to know which system would be better in a 64 bit Athlon or a p4

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Thank you

Simmy

Advertisements

ComputerJoe

ComputerJoe

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I don't see any good reason Tiger Woods shouldn't run on your current specifications. If you are planning to upgrade your RAM I suggest you open up your machine to see if you have any spare RAM slots.

I would go for the Athlon 64 myself, make sure it's running at a minimum of 3000+. The Athlon 64 will probably last you longer, and it will allow you to run 64 bit operating systems.

Simmy

Simmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanx JoeTheCoolOne,

I will bear that in mind when I buy one.

Regarding Tiger Woods, it does play but it jerks now and again, same with fifa 2006 which is very annoying especially on fifa usually when I am about to shoot :)

Thanx again mate :tazz:

aguillar

aguillar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
You have a pretty good graphics card and plenty of system memory. Make sure there are no other programs running when you play. A virus scan or windows update etc mid-game could easily cause the symptoms you have.
Before launching out on a completely new system try investigating if you can run a faster CPU in your current one.

Simmy

Simmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanx for the advice aguillar,

I have turned my anti-virus off while playing and stopped all programs running that I can.
It doesnt jerk too badly but I thought i might have eliminated it when i upgraded my graphics card from a geforce 2.
Ive got the latest driver for it but still same.
I am thinking of formatting my h/d as i haveny done this for a few years and add and remove quite a few progs and games. Dont know whether this will make a difference.
What do you think?

:tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think its just the cpu isnt quite powerful enough the gfx card is fine for running the games but the cpu is powerful enough to play the game but its gonna hiccup every now and again. You might be able to pick up a faster version of your cpu although the socketA athlon cpus are becoming like gold dust for good ones as there are alot of people in the same position.

Simmy

Simmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Warriorscot,

Thanks for the advice. I have been having these problems for a few months now and no one else has mentioned the cpu. Ive been told its gfx card or [bleep] mem but never cpu. I will try and get another cpu off e-bay (if cheap enough) but am thinking of getting a 64 bit one after christmas as I have had this one for quite a few years now. The 1.4 cpu was most powerful when i bought it so you can imagine how long ive had it. Regarding my origanal question, which would you recommend for gaming in the athlon or p4? just in case I do decide to get a new one.

Cheers

Simmy

:tazz: :) :)

Simmy

Simmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry Warriorscot,

Just noticed you have an athlon so question answered.

Simmy :tazz:

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
in my opinion, there is no need to question any longer

just go amd64

from what i see it is much more cost efficient to go amd as far as performance per dollar you pay. also, you cannot argue that true 64-bit operating systems and programs are just arround the corner, and you dont want to be left in the dust being forced to use 32-bit OSs. i have (at the time, the cheapest 64-bit) a 2800+ socket 754. it runs at 1.8 GHz, with a tempature of just 26ºC! and usualy the FSB is faster on an athlon 64 then most pentium 4s,

hope this helped

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
P4s are very hot cpus when you compare with amds my cpu rarely goes above 42 and only after monster gaming sessions on hot summer days.

rhyndal

rhyndal

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Definately check into a AMD CPU if your motherboard will support you could go with a sempron 64 bit very cool operating and havent had a problem in 50 plus machines

Simmy

Simmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanx Guys!!!!!!!!!

I am going to try and get a faster cpu that is compatable with my current m/b if I can get one cheap enough as I am happy with my pc apart from the gaming side of it.

Then after christmas I am going to get a new one. Hopefully prices might have dropped slightly by then as they are a bit expensive at moment.

Thanx again, your advice is very much appriciated!

Simmy :tazz: :) :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Technology and software demands rise and prices stay the same you can get the pc you want now cheaper in a few months but in a few months there will be new stuff and you wont want it, just start saving now and pick the right time to buy when the best hardware selection is available preferable at the back end of a price war as well.