Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Norton Anti Virus 2005

• Please log in to reply

Wills_land

Wills_land

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello There, I am having a problem with my norton software and wondering if you could help,
Last night during an Msn Messenger conversation i got sent a virus, But this virus has mucked up all my Norton Anti virus, So when ever i wanna go on to my norton it just freezes, Now this is very annoying becuase i wanna acess my norton to deleate this virus but i cant, I have uninstall Norton and Reinstalled it but its still freezing, I dont really wanna do a full system restore becuase i will lose all my thing on my computer. I am have tried contacting "Snyamatic" but there useless! So if anyone knows whats happening with my anti virus stuff and knows how i can get it to work again that would be a very good help.
E mail or wirite back on here,

Thanks Will

Advertisements

ComputerJoe

ComputerJoe

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I suggest you download another piece of Anti-virus software. AVG is free and will hopefully work.

Wills_land

Wills_land

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yeah but i have paid £50 for this and i wanna make the most of it, please post another way. Someone Callled "krammer" posted something on how to get rid of it but it doesnt make much sense to me!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Wills_land,

Could you please post the link that shows what 'krammer' said?

Fenor

Wills_land

Wills_land

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
its not there anymore, his post has gone! it said something about a reeboot, then some stuff i couldnt work out, i dont wanna reboot my system cos i will lose everything, Any other ways?? its a virus off msn messenger, its called e zone or something??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Wills_land...Welcome to G2G!

What version of Norton AV do you have? Norton is tough to uninstall and without removing it completely, it will not reinstall properly. Different versions require different methods to completely remove them. Some versions require that the Windows Installer also be reregisterd.

TheCoolOne's suggestion is a good one. Disable the Norton AV and download either AVG or Avast (link in my signature...both free), install it, and update it. Run it to remove the virus. Post back with the Norton version information and I'll help you remove and reinstall that properly.

You might also want to go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top of the page (Start Here). That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

wannabe1

Wills_land

Wills_land

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Right okay, , i have norton internet security 2005, Urm i wanna try to completely uninstall Norton first then i will install it again and see if it works. This has happened before but i have to restore the system which i dont wanna do, So if you could tell me how to completely uninstall norton 2005. And i aint the best with pcs so make it simple! thanks

Wills_land

Wills_land

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
HELLO I JUST FOUND IT THIS IS WHAT KRAMMER SAID

ok i fixed the problem. i booted in safemode and deleted
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rrcvkvghyu\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rrcvkvghyu\smss.exe
then i used Xoftspy to fix my registry and remove the other files it installed. then i manually edit the registry to remove
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\load=C:\WINDOWS\System32\rrcvkvghyu\csrss.exe
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windowsload=C:\WINDOWS\System32\rrcvkvghyu\smss.exe
and now my PC works again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Wills_land...

Very Good! If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to ask!

wannabe1

Wills_land

Wills_land

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
YEAH but the above i posted i dont know what it means and how to do what it says?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...missed that part... :tazz:

Do this instead.

Download and run SYMClean. You'll then have to reregister the Windows Installer.

Click Start, then Run, and type msiexec /unregister...Click "OK".

Click Start, then Run, and type msiexec /regserver...Click "OK".

Reinstall your Norton program.

Let us know how it goes....

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 26 October 2005 - 07:48 AM.

Wills_land

Wills_land

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
nope hasnt worked! haha, urm shall i uninstall it again, then run that thing, then try and install again? if that doesnt work i think my only option will be a restore, so shall i do that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You shouldn't need to do a recovery over this issue, but a System restore might help.

Click Start and point to All Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and click System Restore

On the Welcome to System Restore page, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" (it should be selected by default), and then click "Next"

On the Select a Restore Point page, click a bold date on the calendar to the left...go back a few days if you can, and then click "Next". A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click "Ok".
On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click "Next". System Restore will restore the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restart the computer.

When the System Restore Restoration Complete page appears...Click "Ok".

Then try to uninstall Norton IS using "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel. Once you have done that and restarted the machine, run the SYMClean again...restart the machine and try to reinstall the Norton.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Wills_land

Wills_land

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yeah i try to go to system restore but none of the dates are bold so i cant restore to that point??
am i in safe mode or something? whats safe mode?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Evidently your System Restore has been disabled at some point...it should work in safe mode, too. Safe mode is a way of loading Windows with a minimum number of drivers and software running and is used for diagnostics and repair.

Try using SymNRT. Download and run it. Restart your machine. Download Avast AV (link in my signature below), install it, update it, and run it...move anything it finds to "The Chest". Download and run HiJackThis (also linked in my signature) and post a log to this thread so I can see if the Norton is gone.

We may need to have the experts in the Malware Forum remove the infection before we can get this straightened out.

wannabe1