Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrade to XP Professional question

• Please log in to reply

hodesworthe

hodesworthe

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I recently tried an installation of the copy of XP Professional I bought, and it worked fine, except my modem wouldn't start dialing. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver to no avail, switching the PCI slot, nothing worked.

Thinking it might actually be the modem itself, I did a System Restore.

To my surprise, now the modem works perfectly, in my old XP home edition.

It is a Lucent WinModem...

Any ideas??? :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
which driver were you loading? The built in windows one?

I find that Windows XP does a poor job of recognizing winmodem drivers and will sometimes pick the wrong one.

Lucent modems, in particular, as there seems to be a newer

hodesworthe

hodesworthe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: Yeah I know. Windows does a really poor job of locating the drivers. I actually searched for the filename just to set up the modem for dialing in the first place after the upgrade. Then, I tried each individual driver file one at a time. None of them work!