Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Still having CMOS problems

• Please log in to reply

budzoid

budzoid

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks to all who helped me identify my CMOS battery. I installed a new one and now instead of my computer starting in safe mode, it starts by saying CMOS settings are wrong. It then askes me to select F1 or F2 to solve this problem. My keyboard is still not functioning so I can't select anything and proceed further. Can anything be done or is it time to scrap my tower?
Budzoid

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Is your keyboard USB or PS/2? If it is USB, try a PS/2 keyboard to get into your CMOS settings.

budzoid

budzoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi WIZ,
My keyboard is PS/P2. Before I installed the new CMOS battery, my computer said that my mouse was not installed in PS/P2. I've tried switching them around, but nothing worked. This is getting frustrating. If I could get my keyboard & mouse working again I know I could fix all these problems.
Budzoid

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
What is the exact message that it displays? And how old is your computer?

budzoid

budzoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I's a 4 year old ACER with WIN98. The message says CMOS settings are wrong. It then says to choose F1 to setup or F2 to change settings. Keep in mind my keyboard will not let me choose anything.
Budzoid

Edited by budzoid, 26 October 2005 - 10:07 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I noticed you said that the keyboard and mouse problem was occuring before you installed a new CMOS battery, right? Did you ever remove your keyboard or mouse plug from the computer while it was on? This could damage your motherboard. If so, this problem may be only solvable by replacing the motherboard. If not, I will contact someone who knows more about hardware.

budzoid

budzoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't believe I unplugged them while it was on, but other people had access to it and may have. Any idea what kind of "ballpark" price we are talking about to replace the motherboard?
Budzoid

budzoid

budzoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't believe I unplugged them while it was on, but other people had access to it and may have. Any idea what kind of "ballpark" price we are talking about to replace the motherboard?
Budzoid

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
let's not get testy yet....um....this suggestion usually goes the other way round but....do you have access to a usb keyboard? if so try and see if it works in the machine....also we may need to actually do a reset on your bios (CMOS)...you can usually do this by moving a little jumper...that is usually located next to that battery...over to the other two pins than the one's it is currently on...all this with the machine unplugged of course...and then moving that jumper back over to it's original location (sorry that i don't have specifics for you but...not familiar with your board)

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Before you do any of dsenette's jumper suggestion, either buy a electrostatic discharge wrist guard, or touch something metal to discharge any static electricity. Computer equipment is very sensitive. Be careful :tazz: . Hopefully the USB keyboard will work and we won't have to go through that.