Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP security center

• Please log in to reply

reichardt

reichardt

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
On my HP laptop I use Norton firewall and virus protection. The security center recognizes these two programs. When you look at the security center in the control panel it shows ON but states it is running Norton and not windows firewall and virus protection. But on my desk top I run Mcafee. The security center shows ON for the virus protection and states it is running the Mcafee software but on the firewall it won't recognize the Mcafee firewall and show that it is ON. I have to show it disabled and that I am running a third party program. Why wont it show ON and state it is running Mcafee like the Norton does?

:tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should not run two resident firewall or AV programmes because they will conflict and could cancel each other

You can run online AV scans with a resident AV programme installed

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
More to the point of WHY does the security center show the firewall being ON, then when you check the settings, it's actually OFF - this occurs becuase the firewall program you are using [Norton or Mcaffee] disables the windows firewall, but tells security center that there IS a firewall active, whereby the security center initially shows that firewall protection is ON.............. just not the XP firewall.

Not all firewall programs do this, and it does lead some into confusion as to whether there is a firewall active or not

reichardt

reichardt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am running only one firewall. One on the laptop and one on the desktop. The thing is that Norton is shown in the security center as the firewall used and shows ON. The Mcafee firewall won't do this and the security center must be turned off. The security center does not recognize the Mcafee firewall for some reason but does recognize Norton and even says so in the security center, WHY.

Edited by reichardt, 26 October 2005 - 05:38 PM.

reichardt

reichardt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK, I got it squared away when I loaded the Mcafee control panel. Windows security center now states ON but under it it says its using Mcafee.

Edited by reichardt, 28 October 2005 - 03:29 PM.