Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Card HELP

• Please log in to reply

brijval

brijval

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a graphics card that I think has gone bad and I don't know how to figure-out what newer graphics card is compatable with my system. Can anyone help?

current card: 64mb DDr Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 (AGP 4x interface)

computer: Dell 8200, pentium 4, 512 RAM, 80GB hard drive[/size][/size]

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you updated the drivers

brijval

brijval

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Keith......I think the card is "done". I was playing a game and the screen became filled with diagonal lines. Now, the monitor wont come out of sleep mode and the keyboard & mouse dont work.
I think I need to replace the Graphics card, but because the current one is so old, I can't seem to find it and not sure what I can use.
*If this sounds like something other than a graphics card, let me know. Thanks!
(Dell is trying to "hold me up" with a replacement that costs a fortune)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC (if you can) and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode, press enter, this will load windows without using the graphics card

Click start then right click my computer, click properties then hardware then device manager, click + next to display adapters, right click it / them and click uninstall, confirm then reboot the PC

You could then install drivers from nvidia if it loads

brijval

brijval

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
THANKS, Keith! I'll give it a try..............

brijval

brijval

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No Luck........
The processor starts up but the monitor is black. When I push the monitor button, it has: "In Power Save Mode. Press any key on keyboard or move mouse".

Keyboard & mouse are "off". I think its because of the graphics card but not sure what I can replace it with.

Thanks for trying!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Turn the monitor off, with the power button, or unplug it, then plug it back in, check the standby light is on

If you have the XP CD

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

This is to get it so the keyboard and mouse work

brijval

brijval

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The standby light is on, for the monitor.

I will try your suggestion. After reading some of the info you passed along, I'm not sure how this will work though, if the monitor doesn't "wake-up' so I can view things.

Thank you again for your help!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The repair will load drivers etc, so should help