Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet suddenly slowed down

• Please log in to reply

Mac_Quazi

Mac_Quazi

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

i've recently seen my internet speed has gone down suddenly. im using a cable connection 2mbps so im supposed 2 be getting around 200kbps on average but now its gone down to an average of 20-40kbps.

i did a speed test and it says my internet speed is 2mbps. so i dont kno what the problem is. about 2 days ago my speed was fine an from yesterday its just gone slow. im talking about downloads from internet explorere, not from any p2p softwaree. can sumone please help? thanx

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run WinsockXPFix near top of list

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

jabba21

jabba21

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am having the same trouble. How do you even do a speed test? I can't download WinsockXPFix now. It will get so far and then just stop.

Mac_Quazi

Mac_Quazi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

Thanx Keith. my internets back to normal. I used this site to check my internt speed

www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Jabba21

Are you still having trouble with winsock downloading

If you google line speed test, you need to use a site near your location for correct results

You will get an output which you can send to your ISP if it is very different from the line speed you are supposed to be getting

[attachment=4519:attachment]

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Mac

Thank You for letting me know your line speed is alright now

jabba21

jabba21

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I did a line speed test a little while ago. It was a lot lower than what it should have been. I kept trying to get the WinsockXPFix and the speed finally sped back up. I checked it again and it was at near normal speed. I went ahead and ran the WinsockXPFix program anyway and everything seems to be fine now. I guess it was a problem on the ISP end.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know