Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop programs from starting up

• Please log in to reply

rmc5630

rmc5630

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello -- I don't fully understand the difference between the programs in the Start Menu and those in the Startup folder, but I am trying to install a larger hard disk (hd) and it comes wth software that will copy the programs and files from the old hd unto the new hd. It warns me to close all programs that start up when I start Windows, but I didn't do it and the copying got 'hung up' when my virus protection program updated itself during the process.

So, now I'm trying to do what I am told, and I went to all the different startup folders (for the owner, the default users, the administrator, etc) and deleted those programs, but I did not find the icons for the virus protection and firewall software that starts with Windows. Where do I find these and how do I stop them from starting up when I boot up?

PLEASE HELP!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Those options would be in the programs "preferences/options" area itself.. Just open the program and take a look at the Options/preferences and disable any mention of starting with Windows..

Murray

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
for some antivirus programs these days, you may find that you need to right click on the icon and select 'disable autoprotect' or something similar in order to stop it activating and slowing down the boot process.

if antivirus is giving you trouble you might want to uninstall it and get one that uses less resources. a lot of people here recommend the free AVG

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

for some antivirus programs these days, you may find that you need to right click on the icon and select 'disable autoprotect' or something similar in order to stop it activating and slowing down the boot process.

That will only stop the protection for that period of time your system is running.. If you shutdown and restart, the process will start with it.. You MUST disable the "start with Windows" option!!

Murray