Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Keep Freezing

• Please log in to reply

MikeR005

MikeR005

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
OK, Well here is my problem i turn my computer on and it goes through all the system loading things. Then it goes to my log in screen for my computer and i type my password in to get to my comp. Then it loggs me in and my programs start to load but then 5 seconds later before i can open anything at all it freezes. I cant click anything i cant do anything but press alt+control+delete then I do that and it goes 2 another screen and i select task manager and then when i close task manager nothing happeneds its closed but it shows as open and i cant even see my desktop anymore. This all happened when i restarted my computer once because it wouldnt open internet explorer so i thought oh well ill just restart and then i restarted and thats what happened if anyone could help me it would be highly appreciated thnxs :tazz: :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you boot into safe mode?

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
See i dont know how to boot into safe mode can u tell me?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose last known good configuration to see if it loads, if not restart, keep tapping F8 and choose safe mode with networking, if you get this then

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thnxs man i will try and if it dosnt work i will be back thnxs for the advice right now :tazz:

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Nope it even freezes in safemode.... :tazz: any other adive u have i would really like to fix this.. so yah still freezes in Safe mode :)

Edited by MikeR005, 26 October 2005 - 03:54 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is probably quickest now, (hour + updates)

Try here

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run the first one

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Don't worry; Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
OK, I will try both of those and if they dont work i will come back lmao thnxs for the advice in advance :tazz:

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok :tazz: I tryed that and it still didnt work is my last resort 2 reformatt :) and if so please tell me were i can go info on how so... but if not is ther another way to fix this without loosing my important things :woot: is so please tell me how...Highly Appreciated -Mike

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi MikeR005...

Try booting to the Safe Mode screen and choosing "Last known good configuration"....

wannabe1

Advertisements

Mindsplitter

Mindsplitter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Try entering safemode using F8 on restart then do the fallowing.

When should I use msconfig to change the system configuration utility startup settings?

You should use msconfig to shutdown programs that run in the background, and programs that show up in the system tray that you do not need on startup. When programs load automatically on startup they use valuable system resources and cause your pc to run slower and lockup.

The only programs you really need to have run at startup are firewalls, antivirus programs and if you use a stock market ticker tape program. By using msconfig and turning off startup programs it will free up memory and the processor so you will notice faster speeds and it will help with slow browsing and pc lockups.

click on the link below to watch a videow of how to use msconfig.

http://classifieds.c...query=retrieval

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Yes i have tryed doing last known good config still didnt work and icant do the msconfig thing because even in safe mode it locks up

Edited by MikeR005, 26 October 2005 - 07:55 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you boot into safe mode with command prompt and type in chckdsk /f

(i'm pretty sure that's the checkdisk fix command but i have a problem remembering if its /f or -f...)

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
:tazz: When i did that it said this CHKDSK Cannot run because the volime is in use by another process.Would you like yo schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts <Y/N> :) ...Any help?

-Mike

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Choose "Yes"...this process is supposed to run at bootup...

wannabe1