Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Keep Freezing

• Please log in to reply

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
YES FINALLY :woot: Ok first i'd like to say thanks for both of your guys's fault secondally it was somthing to do with explorer it kept crashing the desktop and system...So i called in one of my bros friends and he tranferred the stuff i needed in command prompt to my other driver and then reformatted my driver C: so now everything is working fine i am on my own computer right now so thanks for all your help :) :) :woot: :tazz: :woot:

Advertisements

Phenom

Phenom

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I wouldn't call complete success yet! Reading through this event from post 1 I noticed a trend that suggests that the problem may root from a degrading hard drive. I've gone through 2 hard drive deaths so far and they happen to be far more dramatic than a favorite family hamster's death. One of my hard drives gave signaled hicups to me much like yours seems to be doing. My first HD died so fast I couldn't do anything or recover anything no matter how hard I tried. It got worse just trying to recover stuff so I ended up scrapping it. Thank god it was only 10 GB. Anyway, the second HD I recovered quite a bit of data using Spinrite 5.0 ($80 but worth it! Now version 6.0). See for yourself
Some early warning signs of HD death may include (but not necessarly mean it is in trouble):
Extremly Slow boot-This usually indicates that the Master Boot Record or other vital files has become difficult to read for the HD (borderline corrupt) and may have to make multiple passes to read the disk.

Weird noises from computer case- The noise can be similarly compared to reading a floppy disk. Usually the arms within the HD have a location that it stops at, but sometimes the arm is broken or malfunctioning and the HD arms hit the hard stops within the HD much like a bicycle into a brick wall. Another noise cause can be bad bearings, which if not caught soon could cause seizing of the disk like that castrol commercial. Last common noise cause, besides that CPU fan, is the disk surface actually rubbing against something (caused by poor manufacturing, bad bearing, far too close tolerances....like the IBM deathstar..I mean deskstar)

Programs no longer work or random weird stuff happening that normally could be fixed with conventional methods. This is basically the reason why I think you have a potentially bad HDD This is an indication that, like I said before, data on the HD has become corrupt or borderline corrupt.

The problem with today's HDDs is that they don't have integrity. I was taught that integrity is what you do when nobody's looking. Well, you can't exactly see your HDD unless you have a window or spycam in which case I would think you're crazy and report you to ripley's believe it or not, but It still shouldn't be lying to you. Back in the early days when HDDs had a MB capacity they had stickers on them that told the customer which sectors of the HDD were bad so they could be avoided. Then HDD manufacturers got intellegent and invented SMART software. (Software or firmware I'm not really sure) This software was invented for good intention, but soon fell flat on its face. It was warped by the HDD manufacturer's desire to prevent anyone from knowing that the HDD had defects. The SMART software became a masking device essentially lying to the user about the HDD having bad sectors.

I don't know for sure but I don't think scandisk (win98) and chkdsk(win xp) have the capability of accurately identifying bad sectors. If they rely on SMART or integrate with it then like Patlabor 1(Japanese Anime) anything it integrates with will be corrupt as well. (Integrity of scan that is, not literally corrupt data)

Phenom

Phenom

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I forgot to mention a good place to shop for a new hard drive. They got low prices and 2 day shipping on most items. I recommend getting at least 80GB but no more than 160GB for your C: (Operating System HDD). Try to get a 7200 RPM drive with the 8MB buffer. This is good for data reading, writting, and transfering. It generally boils down to better efficiency and more pleasant experience overall. There is some proof that the Seagate and Hitachi HDDs lead the market in quality and reliablility. Check it here. The information is buried somewhere on that website and I haven't done research much since my last computer build which was December 2004. Other HDDs can be satisfactory as they get the job done. If your Rig is for video editing then you really should go Seagate or Hitachi (successor of IBM's line of deskstar drives).