Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are Today's Youth Growing up too Fast?

• Please log in to reply

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please let's keep responsible discussion in this thread. I just don't want it to get off -topic. :whistling:

Advertisements

maddy8

maddy8

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Umm prety sure you should read everything before you say that
i was asking questions, i started the topic and i said thanks for people writing back!!!
got a problem with that?

street1

street1

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Please let's keep responsible discussion in this thread. I just don't want it to get off -topic. :whistling:

This forum is for serious, civilized and thoughtful debate regarding potentially controversial topics. Please remember to respect your fellow forum members. No name calling, personal attacks, insults, harassment, etc. State your opinions, but don't try to impose them on others. Due to their volatile and sensitive nature, we will not allow discussions related to abortion, religion, politics, or sex.
Posts that don't meet these guidelines may be edited or deleted at the moderator's discretion. Rules discussion here

Sorry I overlooked the above but,About all you could say about todays America and the problems youth
have could be deleted by a moderator because of your guideline restrictions.They almost take away Freedom of speech.People should keep a civil tongue be nice but,should not be restricted to their comments
to a point they can't respond honestly to a question.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Are today's youth growing up too fast?

Compared to what? Sure they are, however, aren't they just growing up in today's society? Seems to me that life is moving exponentially faster. Today's children's children will probably be growing up even faster. Isn't it all relative really? Doesn't seem to me like there's too much point in pondering the question ... would probably be more productive to ponder values that need to be firmly in place for any generation to be growing up.

If all you young people on this forum feel you have grown up too fast are you looking at values you can ensure are going to sustain you throughout the rest of your lives. As I understand it we all have the right to "choose" our way, whether we've young or old. We are making choices every moment of our lives. Whether we make them consciously or not is another matter. I also believe today's youth are more conscious than past youths or at least have the capability of being more conscious. We can all ask ourselves "what do I choose now?" with regard to any aspect of our life. Not to decide is to decide, it's to decide (choose) to take what life brings me, rather than creating the life I want.

Even if we've grown up in an environment that hasn't fostered firm values, we have an almost infinite accessability to seach and learn about such things with the internet. So while young people may be considered 'growing up too fast' compared to past youth, they have access to information and support past youth didn't even dream about.

And so ends the sermon! :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Umm prety sure you should read everything before you say that
i was asking questions, i started the topic and i said thanks for people writing back!!!
got a problem with that?

Yes maddy8, I have a problem with your reply. You will treat moderators of this site with respect, or you will not be allowed to participate here.

@street1 there is no right of free speech on this forum. There are plenty of places on the Internet where you have the freedom to say anything you want. Geeks to Go is not one of those places. We are a family friendly site, accessible by all. It is possible to have intellectual conversation without offending, and while keeping the content appropriate for a 10-year old to read (because they are).

Enough said, let's stay on topic please.

maddy8

maddy8

• Pip
  • 5 posts
What did i say that offended anyone .... admin? your offending me by saying that..

anyway.. yes i understand what your saying.... frantique... but at my school i see girls in year 8 wearing make - up.. when i was in year 8 i never wore make-up.. they dont need to wear it at that age they are soo young... fair enough if they have issues with the way they look im sure all of us do but liek i said they are so young they dont need to worry about that sort of stuff, they should enjoy their immaturity as compared to the age they are trying to be. I loved the fact that in year 8 I had a bright imagination, and i didnt take any thing to offence.
but in saying that i no that like.. they do that because they feel ebtter within themselves.. just like girls and ladies wear make-up
but its just scary to see that i think

and there is other stuff which im not allowed to say on here wich i feel more strongly for liek sex alcohol and drugs... but this is a family hting so ill leave it there

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Maddy8, yes I agree with what you have said. I have a 14 yrs old daughter in Year 8 and yes on special occasions she wears makeup. (Though I do admit she's pretty good at putting it on cause it's hardly noticeable). I think Year 8 is now pretty much like Year 11 and 12 were when I was at school (a very long time ago!!!).

Times really have changed in many, many ways. In some ways I think television has had a big impact on young people and propelled them into activities and experiences beyond their years. However, I do believe, as I suggested before, that it is amost evolutionary the way young people are growing up faster. A good example of this is the fact that young girls are reaching puberty at much younger ages than used to be. Many of my daughter's friends reached puberty in Years 4, 5 and 6. This is pretty incredible really. And if their bodies are growing up faster then it makes pretty much sense that parts of their minds will also.

My daughter has a very finely featured and quite beautiful face and definitely doesn't need makeup to enhance it. We have talked about this and she says that she knows she looks fine without it and doesn't need it to look better and that she just likes to play around with it. So in her case, I don't see there's much problem. She knows she doesn't feel any better with it. If I had stopped her from wearing it she'd probably have done so on the quiet (and be living in deceit).

And remember much advertising these days is specifically directed towards young teenagers. This advertising has been researched very carefully and is designed to reach it's target audience and influence them without them realising. There are many many skincare and makeup lines specifically sold for teenagers, even though they have the same stuff in them that is sold to older people.

And many young people (well around here!) have jobs after school these days and have income and are in a position to purchase things like makeup, themselves. This is what my daughter has done. She knows I would not give her money for it.

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have to say yes to the children growning up to fast. I am only 23 myself but I was home for the first time in 3 years and went to a party, and my brother informed me that the attractive group of girls I was talking to minutes earlier were only 16. I do not remember the girls dressing like that (sorry to females I am not gender bashing I just dont look at guys so I have no reference besides myself) they certainly didnt look 16.

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
i'm in my early 30s & no children here. i do strongly feel that kids are monstrous these days compared to when i was growing up. they cuss,they're selfish, they mistreat adults & their peers, their body language= their cussing.

i think part of the blame is the world's aspiration to create super human beings that can make the greatest computers, the greatest airplanes, the greatest missile, etc. so we've allowed them to use their intelligence, knowledge, ideas, imagination, their emotional physical metal abilties without limits quickly. i think the needs of the world have put so much pressure & emphasis on superficial qualities that the very things that matters the most in life seems to have no valuable place in the world. love, respect, compassion----these are simple primary qualities that should be empahsised more than anything & than everything else should be secondary.

i remember during the 90s, talk shows were so big & it was the era of "I DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK, THIS IS WHO I AM, MY PEROGATIVE" etc etc etc. I think to at least care why people are thinking this way about you is a courageous & maybe even a beneficial thing to do. on the other side, i believe there is a time to ignore what others say about u b/c they're malicious & out to destroy u.

i just truly believe kids (even some adults just want to live life & live out every single desire they have without considering needs of others first or feelings of others. it's the ME ME ME generation. they don't blame themselves, oh of course, they are too smart too rich too well dressed too busy too this too that. one can only live this way for so long until something tragic happens to themselves or to someone very close to them than what? sometimes, i have no sympathy for people like this regardless of what happens.....

beav3r

beav3r

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yea, i agree. I overheard a conversation of kids about 11.......saying that "they lost there viganity"......Ahh tyhe kids these days.....

Advertisements

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Yea, i agree. I overheard a conversation of kids about 11.......saying that "they lost there viganity"......Ahh tyhe kids these days.....

it's truly unbelievable...
i really believe the simple media does glamorize sex,drugs,drinking, bad language, careless attitude, rreckless driving.....the list goes on.... they portray it to be trendy, fun, hip, cool, the in thing...if u do the above consistenly then people will think you're powerful, popular, cool, strong, confident etc------kids/adults put their energy into emulating it (hollywood movie music whathaveyou life)

i think kids (even adults) do this because it projects an image that masks the qualities they're hiding or are lacking..and then everything becomes a habit & they become proud of it then find the need to post it on MYSPACE.

but it's very funny how these kids/adults say "I DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF ME" BUT in fact they DO because that's why they engage in drugs, sex, alcohol, reckless lives so that they can fit in THIS WORLD & not have people stare at them laugh at them etc. if u observe people & here what they say reading between the lines, u can get a good idea of WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON inside them. sometimes what they don't say speaks louder than what they do say.

true maturity lacks profoundly & sometimes even those close to death never get it. some die without ever having gotten it. i hope the hearts & minds of kids will open up to what life is really about.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I was talking to a mother at the local shopping strip, and was told her 12 year old daughter is pregnant.
However, I'm not thinking of the 12 year old girl, I'm trying to work out who is worse. The mother of the 12 yo. or the 30 year old man who got her pregnant......

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

i think kids (even adults) do this because it projects an image that masks the qualities they're hiding or are lacking..and then everything becomes a habit & they become proud of it then find the need to post it on MYSPACE.

Sooner or later the things they post will end up hurting them. Employers and schools are often checking myspace, facebook, and other social networking sites to get a view on applicants.

On facebook though, what your friends put online can also hurt you, as they can tag photos with your name and they will come up in searches for you. This is why the first thing I do when I get a notice that someone tagged me in a photo is check it. Even though I don't drink/smoke/do drugs, that doesn't mean I don't hang out with people that do.

Now the one thing the police and lawyers that visited my orientation to criminal justice class told us was not to smoke, or do drugs, or drink. Even though I don't if one of my friends posts a picture of me in a dorm room with others that are, then my prospective employer/grad school admission office will probably assume that I do.

I forgot what else I was going to say :whistling: so I guess that this will have to suffice for now.

-Ryan

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

I was talking to a mother at the local shopping strip, and was told her 12 year old daughter is pregnant.
However, I'm not thinking of the 12 year old girl, I'm trying to work out who is worse. The mother of the 12 yo. or the 30 year old man who got her pregnant......

funny that u mention that, i remember one of my coworkers some yrs back had a daughter who was 13 & pregnant. i was so shocked but then again, the mother's lifestyle didn't seem that attractive either. another yr later, i heard the daughter was popping another baby. sad for her & burdening for the tax payers as well....
i'm sure that 30 yr old filth in society will do it again...sometimes i think that maybe everyone should be gay or lesbian to avoid unwated pregnancies & for population control....ok just kidding :whistling:

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Sooner or later the things they post will end up hurting them. Employers and schools are often checking myspace, facebook, and other social networking sites to get a view on applicants.

On facebook though, what your friends put online can also hurt you, as they can tag photos with your name and they will come up in searches for you. This is why the first thing I do when I get a notice that someone tagged me in a photo is check it. Even though I don't drink/smoke/do drugs, that doesn't mean I don't hang out with people that do.

Now the one thing the police and lawyers that visited my orientation to criminal justice class told us was not to smoke, or do drugs, or drink. Even though I don't if one of my friends posts a picture of me in a dorm room with others that are, then my prospective employer/grad school admission office will probably assume that I do.

I forgot what else I was going to say :whistling: so I guess that this will have to suffice for now.

-Ryan

my view...there's nothing wrong w/the myspace concept...just some human beings causing a world of trouble. I too heard that some employers actually will check to see if a potential employee or current employee is on myspace & observe it. unfortuantely even if one does not engage in the types of activities his/her friends engage in or lives the same lifestyle as them, the emloyee will be viewed the same way. think about....if i were an employer i would definitely consider the newtwork of friends this employee has....then again it's no different than the personal references employers have requested...just now, they can see physical faces & get a "story" of "what is going on".

i think if one does not approve of his/her friend's lifestyle for valid reasons then maybe it's time some youth out there with intelligence , honor and integrity help his/her friends make different choices...a kind of lobbying if you will to the friends...it's no different than saying "hey try this redbull it's a cool drink" (dumb example i know). perhaps youth to youth persuasion can be more powerful than adult to youth. i think there are a number of youth out there that are trying to make a difference in the moral behavior of the young generation...i'm sure they're the minority though. i admire their integrity & hope that the numbers can multiply & that we can see a great renewal.....

Edited by s2006, 12 July 2006 - 07:52 PM.